Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chevrolet 1500 Z71 problems

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Chevrolet 1500 Z71 problems

its a 1998 chevrolet silverado 1500 Z71, 201,000km's on it I bought this truck for 5,000$ last month, and it was driving fine its a 5.7L vortec which is a great motor with lots of power, I work up in northern canada and I was given a week off to go back and visit my family which was an 11 hour drive, so about 6 hours into the drive my check engine light came on, so I decided to pull over and turn my truck off then turn it back to check if the computer would correct itself, then the truck wouldn't start and the check engine light was flashing, the truck barely started and I had to drive 35 mph for 45 miles, the truck was running rough, and had absolutely no power and i brought it to the nearest shop, they plugged it into the scanner and the code that came up was "misfire" so the mechanic said to me oh you need new sparkplugs, so he puts them in, that doesnt fix the problem, so 4 hours later and a new rotor, distributer cap, O2 sensor, spark plug wires, he charged me 800$'s and sent me on the road with a truck running terribly, so 280 miles later I finally get it home, plugged it into another scanner tool and it said misfire, we looked more into it and cylinders 3&4 were misfiring a lot and cyl 7 was also misfiring but not as much, we adjusted the timing but the computer would still retard the timing -10 degrees no matter what we did the fuel pressure was 60psi but when we revved the motor it would drop to 45, so we dropped the fuel tank and cleaned the screens on the fuel pump, and the fuel filter, started it up, still shaking and idling rough misfiring, asked a mechanic and he told me it sounded a lot like the fuel pump, so I bought a brand new fuel pump.. no change, I have run out of money and run out of options and I only have a few days left, im ready to get on a bus and go home and leave it here, I really need your help

Last edited by Michael Muldoe; April 2nd, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 8:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im just throwing out a guess here but the problem may be the fuel injectors I ve heard of those plugging up. just a guess thou. but in the process of elimination thats the next thing i would look at.

i have my own nightmare with my 98 silverado z71. got this truck for free from family member but it ran like complete crap. the engine codes where for crank and cam position sensors. replaced those. had cam and crank realigned. no luck. just ripped the motor out and completely rebuilt and remaned everything. hope it works.

Last edited by SweetEmotion; April 3rd, 2012 at 8:33 PM.