Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Chevy guru's please help! 2005 Silverado 2500 power steering pump issues

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2015, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy guru's please help! 2005 Silverado 2500 power steering pump issues

My Silverado 2500 HD has been leaking power steering fluid in a bad way and making that terrible whining sound so today we replace the pump with a re-manufactured pump. We did everything as specified (remove fan housing, alternator, belt, pulley, pressure hose, etc) and replaced the pump. Reassembled all the components and filled the reservoir.

When I started the truck, the power steering worked for about 5 seconds then quit all together. I cranked the wheel side to side for about 20 minutes trying to work air out of the system and was able to get some bubbles. Even lifted the front tires off the ground the ease the wheel turning. Still not getting any power steering.

After doing some research, we found there is a hydroboost system on the truck that ties into the brake system. Does anyone know if I could be having a problem with that system or if the pump is garbage? I'm tending to thing the pump is garbage, because other than the leaking, the old pump worked fine. Now that a "new" pump is installed I'm getting zero help from the pump.

I really at a loss right now. Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old February 9th, 2015, 6:01 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you swapped the pressure relief valve, I'll bet you put the o-ring in the wrong groove.

Allan