Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chevy Silverado ABS, Traction control, and Brake light problems.

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2015, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Silverado ABS, Traction control, and Brake light problems.

I have a 2009 Chevy silverado, 1500, 4.8 LT crew cab. About a month ago the ABS and traction control lights would activate after the front end of the truck would go over a bump. It was anly after landing hard. The lights would go off every now and then and up until now they just stay on. The brake light also has come on I guess after the abs and traction control problem got worse. I took it to my mechanic who is a performance mechanic and he told me to change the front passenger wheel speed sensor (ABS sendor i guess). I did that and all it did was turn off the brake light only. Before I inserted the new sensor I did not put any grease on it. So I took off the the new sensor, cleaned off the pink grease that the old sensor had, put it back in and now I am at a standstill. The old sensor didnt have any corrosion. What do could it be? The Duralast ABS sensor which I may not have installed properly, or the connector from the harness that connects to the sensor?

A little bit more back ground information:
The previous owner had somehow severed the two wires that connect to the connector(about six inches back from the front of the connector) that goes to the ABS sensor. He connected the wires back and then wrapped them in electrical tape. Everything was fine until about a month ago when the lights started to go off. I did notice that a little clip that goes on the connector so that it will slip into the actual sensor is broken off on the connector. After I looked at the wires I took off the electrical taped, neatly put the wires together, and then neatly taped the wires back together.