Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Chevy towing vs Ford Towing

Old December 4th, 2006, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy towing vs Ford Towing

Well, finally did it! After owning my new '07 Silverado Classic 1500 HD crew cab a month, I finally got to tow my horse trailer and compare towing ability to my former Ford F150. Lemme just say....no comparison! I towed at about 600 miles on the odometer.

To begin with, I had always owned Fords, and the last one ('04 F150 ext cab/Lariat model-5.4 w/tow package) just plain sucked! When I towed my trailer (and I am only towing about 5500 lbs with the horse inside and 3300 without him), it was extremely sluggish. I got the tow package because I was under the assumption that it would actually be useful.

My Chevy was a dream to drive with the trailer behind it. No sluggishness whatsoever, and at times, it didn't even feel like I was towing something. Now, the gas mileage was horrible. I filled it up on a Friday, before I hooked the trailer up, and between Friday and Sat, towing, and going approximately 75-100 miles in total, I was almost on empty by the time Sunday rolled around.

I don't remember what the F150 was on gas when I towed, but I am thinking it wasn't good. I know the ride wasn't as good as with my Chevy.

I have a universal brake controller that I took from the Ford and put in to the Chevy. W/the Ford, I had to have it at full strength-all the way to the right. But, with the Chevy, when I had the controller like that, it locked up my trailer brakes. So, after playing around w/it, the switch is a little tiny bit to the right and everything is great. Why would that be? Wouldn't it depend on how heavy thr truck is? Or does that have no bearing on it? I know my Chevy is a lot hearvier than the Ford.

LOVIN' THIS TRUCK!!!!!! I only hope that it keeps running like this as it ages. Right now, I have a little over 1700 miles on it, so I guess I am still in the "honeymoon" stage.
Old December 4th, 2006, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Chevy towing vs Ford Towing

I just bought a 99 Silverado 1500 Xcab with 350. It is rated to tow more than our 01 Excursion with 5.4 V8. The Chevy gets better MPG and rides much better. I hate saying this because I have always been a Ford man. I still have a 54 F100.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Chevy towing vs Ford Towing

Chevy always wins, Always. I made the mistake of trying to be a Ford man and guess what happened. Thank you for sending me the recall letter a few months late, after the Expedition BLEW UP!!! Let me know if anyone want's any pics, I can email them.....