Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:03 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Clatter/Clunk from left front while going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2010, 7:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a. sway bar links bushings worn
b. tie rods
c. control arm bushings-upper OR lower
d. broken coil spring
e. caliper bolts backing out of the housing.
Old November 9th, 2012, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brake pads rattling?
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Taken my 2012 Tahoe in for a second time for that noise. They told me today that they feel strongly that it is the running board. They took it off and drove it and the noise stopped. Put it back on, mounting if in different locations and it is back. Will be taking it back later this month for them to try and figure out how to make it stop.
Old June 7th, 2013, 6:45 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebecca Revell Lare
Taken my 2012 Tahoe in for a second time for that noise. They told me today that they feel strongly that it is the running board. They took it off and drove it and the noise stopped. Put it back on, mounting if in different locations and it is back. Will be taking it back later this month for them to try and figure out how to make it stop.
Rebecca,

Hopefully the dealership is able to correct the noise issue with your '12 Tahoe. Please keep us updated on this process.

Regards

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 20th, 2013, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Clatter Clunking let it self destruct !

My SIlverado is doing that as well I can feel it in the steering wheel. I am not going to worry too much. I plan on doing some running around in the hills. If it begins to get worse then eventually the problem will be exposed. I am going to look at it and such and see if I can see what is causing the problem. I am not going to start replacing parts though after reading what others have gone through. Hey maybe its a planned thing to make money.
People that can afford it will start replacing parts making the dealers money and keeping people in Jobs. ! Something IS a bit loose but their is no play in the steering. I have run the **** out of a truck with loose steering and it never came apart. I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 with Z71 5.2L If anyone knows of a ?.3ds or ?.DFX file that exposes the parts this would be awesome. DFX is autocad even a good 3d drawing(explode) would be nice. Mine is a stepside shortbed and has a large cab with suicide back doors. The window also leeks are and makes a yucky noise. I think those windows are going get it with some sealant. They did not skimp on the power with this truck
!
Old September 20th, 2013, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry not so quik
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default I had this problem forever and then I found the problem.

I purchased my truck new. Problem started at 60,000. I'd taken it in and had new tires put on and a full alignment as well as front shocks. When I left the parking lot and crossed the median I heard a clunk. I thought something was left loose and returned but they couldn't find the anything loose and we couldn't replicate the problem in the parking lot.

A couple of days later I heard it leaving my driveway and then pulling into the parking garage at work. I took it back and again they found nothing. At this point I was pretty unhappy with my new tires as I had no problem before they installed them. One day I had a friend in the truck that heard the noise and he said it sounded like it was coming from under the drivers seat. I looked under the truck, everything looked fine.

I took it back, had the balljoints and control arm bushings done as well as all bushings replaced.

They actually called me to tell me that they'd still heard the noise after they put it back together and aligned it.

I didn't know what to do at this point. I took it home, purchased 4 jack stands hung it on it's frame in my driveway and with a rubber hammer I clanged on everything I could find until I found it.

The crossmember bushings were worn allowing the torsionbar crossmember to flex at low speeds and uneven surfaces. I then took the truck back and showed them.

They actually purchased the busings and replaced them for free. Well, the front end cost me $1200 before I found the problem myself.

The kit took a few days as it wasn't available locally but it fixed the problem 100%.

Hope this helps someone else. I know it would have saved me some time and money.
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 gmc rattles

I found the front shock 'isolator' bushing rubber was worn out, we didn't find this until on hoist foe oil change. when the weight is off the suspension you can see through where the bushing should be solid a $20 part ONLY from a dealer (we could not find aftermarket part) very cheap!

air chisel old part out the use proper bushing press kit to install new one. like magic! noise is gone----now to do upper steering shaft with a Borgeson joint from 4wd shop.
cheers!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/129-0806-gm-steering-column-repair/
Old January 14th, 2015, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by lucian*91
lay underneath the truck if possible and have someone bounce that side as hard as possible. see if you cant pinpoint anything
It is the flange bearing on the end of ur IFS where the flanges bolt together, if u hit upward on that connection u will probably get Tha same rattle.
Old January 20th, 2015, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Noise under driver side clatter clunk grinding

I have what sounds like the same problem with my 2003 z71 silverado. I will drive it down a slightly bumpy road and I will get a loud grinding noise under my driver side floor board. I have taken it to several mechanics and they can't find what's wrong. I crawled under there last night and looked at all four u joints, they felt solid, rubber is still there and not much play at all. Could this be my front differential causing this? When the noise happens it sounds like something is rattling loose and there is like a grinding noise with it. A couple of times I thought something was going to fall off and hit the road. I have already removed the heat shield and replaced a bad mount on the exhaust, new shocks and alignment. Tranny feels strong even when this noise is happening. sorry for all the writing, im just really frusterated with this and hope someone can help

Quick Reply: Clatter/Clunk from left front while going over bumps