Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-sierra-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Clunk when shifting (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-sierra-fullsize-pick-ups-21/clunk-when-shifting-46135/)

TCMars October 24th, 2011 10:50 PM

Clunk when shifting

Issue
Occasionally there is a clunk when my truck shifts from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. I've noticed that this seems to be affected by temperature. After my truck has been running for awhile or in the summer heat there is little to no clunk whatsoever. However, in the colder days and in the dead of winter it's so bad you can feel it throughout the truck, until it gets warmed up some. Any ideas?

Vehicle
Year: 96
Model: 1500
Engine: 5.0L V8, 4WD
Miles: 101K

Comments
While it might be completely unrelated or coincidental, I noticed this issue after I rather boneheadedly made a tight U-turn while in 4WD, on pavement. It was pretty clear the truck didn't like that much and has been doing the clunk ever since. If it makes a difference, I will be replacing the driveshaft at some point in the near future due to a large dent in it. Thanks for any advice!

Eddox October 25th, 2011 8:28 AM

Is it an automatic or standard shift? I think it might be the universal joint if you hit the drive shaft and dented it... it might be off balance or something.

Good luck

kevinkpk October 25th, 2011 8:49 AM

does it clunk when going from park to reverse? I am inclined to think U joints.

jhargis1 October 25th, 2011 9:30 AM

Does your pickup have a carrier bearing on the rear drive shaft? Those can also clunk.

OLD WRENCH October 25th, 2011 10:29 AM

You could have the famous "slip joint clunk" caused by the slip joint where the shaft goes in to the trans. Lubing this helps for a while. They came out with a chromed yoke that helps sometime.

TCMars October 25th, 2011 12:44 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies!
To answer your questions:
It is an automatic.
I wouldn't exactly call it a clunk but it isn't the smoothest transition either.
There is no carrier bearing, it's a one-piece shaft.

Seems like people are thinking the U-joint. Do I just need to replace that? I'm also willing to try the chrome yoke idea.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm new to the whole DIY deal but I'm trying to pick up as much as I can. Anything you guys can help me out with would be great.

kevinkpk October 25th, 2011 1:17 PM

Check for play in the U joint by crawling underneath, and moving the driftshat at the U joints back, and forth. Shouldn't be any play.

TCMars October 25th, 2011 1:27 PM

Kevinkpk,
At last check about 2 weeks ago there was no play.

OLD WRENCH October 26th, 2011 10:38 AM

Of course if there is play in a joint it needs attention,but just because a joint has no play does not mean it is ok. The only way to check a joint is to remove the shaft and move it thru its travel. I have seen the needles climb on top of each other and be tight but the joint was destroyed.