Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Clutch issue on 95 Chevy C1500...Please Help!!!

Old August 12th, 2012, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue on 95 Chevy C1500...Please Help!!!

I have a clutch issue with my 95 Chevy 4.3L truck that is about to drive me crazy and any input will be greatly appreciated.

I blew the hose that runs between reserve and the slave cylinder. I changed the hose and also changed the slave cylinder while I was at it. The truck shifted great for a while and then the problems started. The pushrod on the master cylinder slipped off clutch pedal when the plastic piece broke that holds it in. I fixed that and soon after the shifting problems started. Here are symptoms:

The truck shifts fine when cold but after 10 to 20 mins of driving, it is very difficult to shift into any gear. I know when it's starting to happen because the clutch gets stiffer than when it shifts normally. When it starts being hard to shift, I have to keep pressure on gear I need to go into until it slips in gear. There are times I think I won't get it in 1st when I come to a stop. On top of all that, it is a sporadic issue when it's does start doing it. There will be shifts that are smooth as butter and then next shift will be difficult to get in gear. I noticed that it seems it has a couple of smooth shifts after coasting to a stop. Don't know if that is pertinent info.

I thought it was air in line so I bled and bled and then bled some more. That did not correct issue so I got part store to exchange slave cylinder as defective. I put it on but before attaching hose, I flushed hose and cleaned reserve of any trash. I hooked slave up and bled the crap out of it again.

I am sure there is no air in line and I do not see leaks around master or slave and reserve is staying full. When you look through the observation hole (sorry don't know technical name) on the back of slave cylinder, it seems the slave is operating correctly.

I am trying to avoid pulling tranny if at all possible. I am really hoping it is not the throw out bearing or pressure plate being warped. Cash is limited at the moment with a new child being born recently.

I am sorry this got as lengthy as it did but wanted to give all info I could to help troubleshoot. Thanks in advance to any replies or comments.

Andy
Old August 13th, 2012, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Does anyone know what causes slack at the top of the clutch? I have about a inch of slack at the top.

Andy
Old August 13th, 2012, 9:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyg138
Does anyone know what causes slack at the top of the clutch? I have about a inch of slack at the top.

Andy
It's called toe play. That is adjusted either into (for those that ride a clutch) or those that don't . What you have is normal guaging on what you posted.
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Ok good. Makes me feel better.

Any reason why clutch won't disengage and the truck lunges when trying to put in 1st gear?
Old February 17th, 2018, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Andyg138
I have a clutch issue with my 95 Chevy 4.3L truck that is about to drive me crazy and any input will be greatly appreciated.

I blew the hose that runs between reserve and the slave cylinder. I changed the hose and also changed the slave cylinder while I was at it. The truck shifted great for a while and then the problems started. The pushrod on the master cylinder slipped off clutch pedal when the plastic piece broke that holds it in. I fixed that and soon after the shifting problems started. Here are symptoms:

The truck shifts fine when cold but after 10 to 20 mins of driving, it is very difficult to shift into any gear. I know when it's starting to happen because the clutch gets stiffer than when it shifts normally. When it starts being hard to shift, I have to keep pressure on gear I need to go into until it slips in gear. There are times I think I won't get it in 1st when I come to a stop. On top of all that, it is a sporadic issue when it's does start doing it. There will be shifts that are smooth as butter and then next shift will be difficult to get in gear. I noticed that it seems it has a couple of smooth shifts after coasting to a stop. Don't know if that is pertinent info.

I thought it was air in line so I bled and bled and then bled some more. That did not correct issue so I got part store to exchange slave cylinder as defective. I put it on but before attaching hose, I flushed hose and cleaned reserve of any trash. I hooked slave up and bled the crap out of it again.

I am sure there is no air in line and I do not see leaks around master or slave and reserve is staying full. When you look through the observation hole (sorry don't know technical name) on the back of slave cylinder, it seems the slave is operating correctly.

I am trying to avoid pulling tranny if at all possible. I am really hoping it is not the throw out bearing or pressure plate being warped. Cash is limited at the moment with a new child being born recently.

I am sorry this got as lengthy as it did but wanted to give all info I could to help troubleshoot. Thanks in advance to any replies or comments.

Andy
Curious did you figure this out. I now this post is from 2012. My truck is doing the same thing. Replaced the clutch and space cylinde other clutch parts two years ago. And now it’s doing what your truck does.