Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Coolant disappearing after new pump?

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2014, 9:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant disappearing after new pump?

So with the cold weather we have been having (-10 and -20) my truck is the only gasser we have to run around in. last week i had a wicked coolant leak on my driver side engine block, called the dealer and they advised to change the water pump. So, quickly i ordered a new pump, gaskets, pulley, and made sure to clean all the surfaces till they were shiny. all the hoses were checked out and were in excellent condition. after the replacement i put in coolant, warmed it up, and kept putting coolant in with the heater on until it was at the "full cold" mark.. this is over a period of 40 miles, since the coolant disappeared when i revved the engine. yesterday night the truck was cold and the level was slightly over the full line. Tonight, the level is a little under the full line and the truck hasnt been driven all day. I twisted the cap off and heard the noise pop bottles make when you open them... so im assuming it is keeping pressure? the block and hoses are bone dry and squeaky clean, no white residue or crap. (i pressure washed the motor and underneath to get rid of any residue)

Motor has never been overheated and runs strong and smooth

Oil is slightly brown but i switched to non synthetic so it does have a darker tint

Oil cap is clean, has some water droplets but even my dads 2011 chevy has water in the cap

im really worried right now lol any advice?
Old November 26th, 2014, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

bet you are seeing normal changes associated with purging air from the system