Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Deep Transmission Oil Pan - Shallow Filter

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2009, 3:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Deep Transmission Oil Pan - Shallow Filter

After I changed my Trans fluid and filter, I was informed that I installed the wrong filter, shallow instead of deep pan type. Other than the 1/2" drop in the front portion of the pan, will it really harm the transmission if I leave the shorter version in place? I know that I am quibbling over another 30-40 bucks for fluid and the correct filter, plus the labor involved, versus the price of rebuilding/replacing the 4L60E transmission. Do they have a shallow pan on full size Chevy's? If not, why is it an option at the auto part store questionares?
Old February 4th, 2009, 4:45 PM
CF Veteran

Default oil pick up

all i can say is you may run into trouble towing on hilly terrain not supplying enough oil and burning uo a $2000.00 tranny .
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did your filter screw in or snap in? If it only snapped in then that is only meant to temporarily hold it in place while you put the pan on which will rest against the filter and keep it in place. If that was the case chances are your filter is sitting in the bottom of your pan and not filtering any fluid at all.
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Let me ask you this...

If the dealer or someone you paid to do it, did it by accident would you be okay with letting it be?

I would be concerned that the pump could be starved of fluid at times since its not submerged in fluid being higher up in the pan. I feel your grief, I replaced a leaking tranny pan gasket on my wifes car and I'll be dammed if its not leaking again, but even more so and I hate the oil stains on my driveway but I don't want to have to deal with that mess of changing it again! but I know I must do it, but when it warms up a bit

Last edited by in2pro; February 5th, 2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: speeling
Old February 5th, 2009, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Around mid 96' they started the deep pan, so anything 95 and down has a shallow pan and they are available if you want to get one. If you really don't want to mess with it, you can over fill it about a quart and you should be ok until you service it again. The shallow filter is only sitting up about an inch higher than normal. The only thing I would worry about is if the rubber grommet it slid up into has good rubber on it. If not, the filter may drop out of the pump and sit in the bottom of the pan. If it does you will be able to tell because you will pull it into gear and it won't move, then you will know. Hope this helps.
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:40 AM
CF Junior Member

I have not been able to sleep much since I found out about this situation...going back under to get it done correctly. At least i remember how to remove the pan, and the heat shield, and the shift linkage bracket.

Thanks for the input!

Success,
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Thumbs up

I think that is the best choice, I think you already knew that thou, you just needed to hear it out load so to speak..