Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Drivers door power lock quit working (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/drivers-door-power-lock-quit-working-51983/)

toms01 July 21st, 2012 3:31 PM

Drivers door power lock quit working

Hey folks, I'm new here and have a 2009 Silverado LTZ. I've had it almost two years without any trouble until yesterday.

Driving to my daughters house, we stopped to get a bite to eat. I walk away from the vehicle and lock the doors with the fob. when we come out about 20 minutes later, the fob will unlock all the doors except the drivers.

When we got in to go putting the truck in drive locks all the doors but mine, now (previously it would lock and unlock the doors just fine). When I get to my daughters house I check all the fuses which indicate anything about door locks.....6 in total IIRC, they are all fine.

Any suggestions of what could cause this issue to crop up all at once? Are there some inherit problems with the 2007-current Silverados, in this respect?

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions that you might have.

tech2 July 21st, 2012 4:22 PM

lock actuators are common problems

toms01 July 21st, 2012 5:34 PM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 221961)
lock actuators are common problems

I need more information, please. Like where are these located....inside the door? How do I check the actuator to be sure it is bad? If it is bad, where can I obtain another one....Chevy dealer only? Is it just a matter of unplugging the old and plugging in the new?

Thanks again for the help.

oldchevy July 21st, 2012 6:45 PM

You have to remove the door panels. Usually it is just the plastic retainer that breaks. You can buy these at most auto parts stores. They come in a bag of different ones and you find the one that fits. If you can hear the noise inside the door then the actuator is working and it is the retainer that is broken.

laman July 21st, 2012 11:10 PM

My passenger door lock went out on my 2008. I had to take panel off of door and change the door lock actuator. They had a lot of problems with these. Punch a search on the internet and you will see what I am talking about. Found part on internet and changed it myself. It was just under $100 for the part.

toms01 July 21st, 2012 11:24 PM

Thanks guys for the help, I'll check it out once I get home middle of the week.

toms01 July 22nd, 2012 10:27 PM

Looks like it is the actuator. Today I tried cycling the locks with the button on the door panel while listening carefully and there is no sound as though the lock was even trying to cycle.

Where do I buy a new actuator? Am I stuck with buying from a dealer or is there an aftermarket part that is available?

laman July 23rd, 2012 10:50 AM

GM Parts Direct is one place that might have it.,

oldchevy July 23rd, 2012 11:04 AM

I always check Ebay first as they have most everything and at a good price.

toms01 July 23rd, 2012 2:35 PM

I have checked ebay, nothing for 2009. GM Parts direct, do you need a part number? I checked Rock Auto and a couple other auto suppliers nothing for the 09 model year.