Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Electric Brake Control 2005 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM
CMB
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Brake Control 2005 Silverado

I am trying to find where the wires are to attach electric trailer brakes on my 2005 Silverado 1500 4WD. Am I blind?! Does anyone know where to locate the wires?
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM
CF Active Member

They're underneath your truck towards the back, somewhere. Chances are they're hidden so they won't fall and possibly drag. You can check on top of your spare tire, and other locations under your truck.

I'm assuming it's equipped with a towing package, obviously.
Old June 14th, 2009, 2:18 PM
CMB
CF Beginner

I see the all the pre-wired harnesses back there. Shouldn't there be four wires (red, light blue, dark blue & black) under the dash somewhere for the brake controller to attach to? I am using a voyager xp controller. The truck does have a towing package, I have used it for other trailers without brakes.
Old June 14th, 2009, 2:40 PM
CMB
CF Beginner

Not positive yet but I think I found a picture of the piece I am missing http://www.etrailer.com/p-20264.htm
and this shows a picture of where the 'missing piece' goes http://www.etrailer.com/faq_cbc.aspx
Old June 14th, 2009, 3:18 PM
CF Active Member

that would be wahat you need... trucks with tow package came with that harness stuffed in the glove box for future use. but i think it had more wires than 4.
Old June 14th, 2009, 3:40 PM
CMB
CF Beginner

Thanks. I was looking for where it would be stored. I bought the truck last year and I swear the dealer told me it was ready for trailer brakes but I can't seem to find the connector.
Old June 14th, 2009, 7:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

under the dash where your left foot goes, just above it you should see where your controller plugs into. also you need to install a 50 amp. fuse into your fuse panel in the engine compartment. everything else is wired. just add your 7 pin plug in the back..
Old June 14th, 2009, 9:43 PM
CF Active Member

Sorry CMB, I seem to have misunderstood what you were looking for.
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:20 PM
CMB
CF Beginner

Thanks everyone. I went to the dealership where I bought the truck last year, a different salesman helped me out and gave me a Z73 brake adapter. Haven't installed the brake controller yet but...

The DRK BLUE on the brake controller says 'Trailer Brakes' but on the new harness from the dealership it reads ' Trailer brake controller switched output device'.

Hope this is the same thing and I have the right adaptor. Any thoughts?
Old June 16th, 2009, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

I had a 2000 and the Tekonsha that came with the truck was simply plugged in above my left foot like desrtrat said.. I can't imagine they would have changed anything like in those years.. The panel was about 6"x6" and if I remember correctly had room for about 4 or 5 things to plug into it.. One of'em was the brake controller..

Quick Reply: Electric Brake Control 2005 Silverado