Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2014, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

I would like to know how to turn off the ESC and not the button on the dash
because that does not really turn off the ESC only traction control. I lifted my truck and what I thought was wheel sensor I now believe is the ESC going off
just about every time I make a hard turn at 15 mph or higher. I read this article in the 4 wheel magazine on the FMVSS126 standard and I'm thinking this maybe the cause of the yellow light coming on, on the dash when making the turns.
The lift I put on is the Rough Country 7.5" lift. When I first put it on it only did it rarely now most of the time. So how can I turn it off, do I need to get into the computer?
Thanks for any help.
Old February 28th, 2014, 7:58 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi jetboatjim,

We will be glad to assist you with your concern. In order to look further into this, can you please send us a private message with your VIN included. We look forward to hear form you!

Kristen A. (Assisting Amber and Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 28th, 2014, 8:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

could not understand what your describing.

pulling the abs fuse will make the the esc non-functional and also the abs and traction control.
Old March 1st, 2014, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Tech2, what I'm talking about is when I am making a turn, like on to another street the truck will start pulsing the braking system and I feel the front of the truck go down like I am braking hard. Plus I see the yellow light on the dash flashing. Now I have turned off the traction control using the button on the dash, but the truck will still activate the braking system during a turn. I feel this is caused by the electronic stability control system thinking the truck is going in to a slide and it is trying to stop that slide, but all I'm doing is turning a corner. Speed does have a effect on the problem. If I take that turn slow the system does nothing. So it must have some sort of sensors that feel the pitch of the truck leaning. Now I do not want to turn off the ABS. But the traction control and the ESC I do not need.
Thanks for your input, Jim.
Old March 1st, 2014, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

I'm sorry but I do not know how to do a private message. The truck is a 2011 year.
Old March 1st, 2014, 3:06 PM
CF Active Member

I hate the ESC and the traction control on my 2011 - I truly believe these types of systems should be optional to the owner - at least be able to turn them off without having a warning light come on dash.

Along with the TPMS and the ABS brakes.

Just saw an opportunity to whine. ;(
Old March 1st, 2014, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

get the codes read. they will be chassis codes so a full function scan tool will be needed....a cheap powertrain code reader won't do it.

It possible the system is seeing a false wheel speed sensor signal....when the signal drops out the system thinks one wheel is locking up. the system will cycle the abs pump and you will hear a buzz and feel it through the brake pedal.

the esc light will flash when the system is active. but it may not set a code. If this is the case a tech will have to record the event on a scan tool and then plot the data on a pc to determine which wheel speed sensor is dropping out.

getting it fixed is a better option then disabling the system. esc is a fantastic safety feature imo.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 3:56 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Jetboatjim,

I just sent you a PM. It will show in the top left hand corner.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

I think I sent you a private message, but not sure. let me know. Jim.
Old March 28th, 2014, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Esc bs

Well here is a follow up on the ESC problem. After two visits to Chevy. There are unable to help me with the issue.Basically the PCM sees one speed and the ECBM sees another and the ECBM cannot be re calibrated for the larger tires I have on the truck, so I'm stuck with the problem. It would seem that the new vehicles on the market are not user friendly to customizing of the vehicles. So if you have or are thinking of a new vehicle, do not modify your truck from the factory tires size. If you do, you too will be dealing with the ESC triggering when cornering.
The system that I'm talking about is the GM Stabilitrak - Stability Control W/ Traction Control system.
Jim