Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Engine swap in 1972 C10??? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/engine-swap-1972-c10-25217/)

terakilla August 17th, 2009 6:10 AM

Engine swap in 1972 C10???

Okay I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but here goes. For starters I have a 72 stepside c10 with a 305 I think. I also have a 94 Caprice classic with the 4.3L that was read ended bending the frame badly and rendering it useless. I've been looking around the Internet and it seems everyone with one of these trucks leaves it carburated. I was thinking of puting the motor and trans from the caprice into the truck. I've always been told that all small block chevy v8s have the same engine mounts so I'm hoping that the block will mount in the truck without too much trouble. Ive already pulled every wire from inside the caprice, there's actually no interior left I have it stripped to the firewall and metal all around. I'm hoping to put everything from the AC to the steering collum in this truck plus the fuel tank so I hVe a fuel pump. Is there anyone out there whos done anything like this puting a newer fuel injected motor in an old truck like this if so any pointers would be awesome.

therewolf August 17th, 2009 11:58 AM

Yes, mostly all the V8 "L" block parts family are interchangeable.

After that i would eye up each part on a part by part basis.

Hopefully you truck intake bolts right to the Caprice block. (Theoretically it should.)

72 to 94 is a 22 year jump for mechanical similarity, don't be too disappointed if some stuff doesn't fit.

terakilla August 17th, 2009 3:07 PM

Intake? I was gunna put everything from the engine bay of the caprice into the truck. That includes all resevoirs and even the radiator w/ elec fans. I think the caprice has a gear driven water pump. I think the truck will have plenty of room for everything. I don't really want anything from the orig truck motor or drivetrain. My largest worry is gunna be the power steering gear box on the caprice fitting the truck might have to do some welding for it or I think I have am old era power steering box thattl fit it. I might have to cut the driveshaft. I've done the same kind of project on a 84 dodge fiting a 5.9 Magnum of fit easy bit I did t have the wiring so I got stuck. Ill look up the mounts again L type huh ok thanks.

terakilla August 23rd, 2009 6:51 AM

Well I guess it's good I can't find anybody whos tried to put a 94 motor in a 72 pickup just means I'm original and awesome LOL. Most ppl I talk to only want somethin fast and loud or just loud and not very fast. I annoy my bros friends cause thats all they care about and I'd rather talk about interiors or suspension or anything else but they only care about engines and "power". Unlike them I don't want to go faster than 80 and I don't need to show off cause I already know I'm smarter and cooler than them. Can't wait till internal cumbustion goes the way of the pager and we have electric motors, usher in a whole new era of instant torque speed.

lukemoore646 August 23rd, 2009 10:37 PM

this is the kind of project i dream about everynight, its in the same dream with me winning the lottery so i can aford to do this kind of stuff

ChevyRider_86 August 9th, 2014 7:43 PM

Need Help - Beginner Tech

Okay chevy brothers im in the same situation I have a 1986 chevy c10 who had its small block 350 tooken out and swapped with a 4.3 v6 and none of my gauges work and my fuel gauge is off by a quarter what are some ways I can get my gauges back to working normal