Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado

I was pretty shocked today to find that my oil level was almost below the tip of the dip stick. At least 1.5 qts low. My 2010 Silverado 4x4 has 19,xxx miles on it and there was about 4,300 miles since the last oil change. It has never used oil like this before.

Have I suddenly developed a problem or is this oil usage considered "normal"?? I've driven Chevy trucks all my life and this is the first time I've ever had this happen.
BTW, there are no leaks. I checked while changing the oil a few minutes ago.
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:58 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds a bit excessive to me; but I guess everyone has a different concept of what "too much oil consumption" is supposed to be.

I have a 2004 Silverado with a 5.3L V8. I have just over 97,000 miles on it right now. It uses just under a quart of oil between changes, which I perform every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. It seems as though most every vehicle I have ever owned burns off half a quart to a full quart every 3,000 miles or so.

There are some GM techs who sometimes frequent this board, so one of them might be able to provide some insight.

Maybe you did some heavy towing with your truck or spent a lot of time idling; and perhaps that made a difference.

** MERRY CHRISTMAS!! **
Old December 25th, 2011, 2:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

was it put to the proper level at the last oil change? If your not sure; do a oil change now (it needs it at 4300miles) and make sure its level with the full mark. have the dealer do this so they can monitor the level and its documented for future warranty.

forget the oil life monitor and do your changes every 3000miles; if you plan to keep this truck after warranty. OLM are ment to sell people on no maintenace vehicles not long engine life.

I've seem oil from vehicles showing 5% oil life; its black and dirty.
Old December 25th, 2011, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

The oil level was correct at the last change. I did the oil change. Also I don't do any towing.

On all my old trucks I changed oil every 3000 miles. Looks like I am going to have to go back to that routine again.

As for the dealer, I don't trust them. The one and only oil change I let them do resulted in a loose oil filter. The oil spot on my driveway was the first clue.
Old December 26th, 2011, 9:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using regular or Synthetic? If your just using regular oil then it doesnt seem too extreme, regular oil breaks down and burns off alot quicker than Synthetic. Besides I wouldnt run conventional oil that long between changes anyway. Personally Ive specifically used Mobil 1 full synthetic for the last 200k miles in my last 3 vehicles changed every 8000 miles and every change the oil is still like new and hasnt lost a drop. IMO if your not already using synthetic, I recommend changing over and seeing if you lose any... I swear by the stuff
Old December 26th, 2011, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

I use Valvolene 5w-30. Never thought about synthetic but may give it a try. I always thought the cost was more than the benefit. But I know others swear by the stuff.
Old December 26th, 2011, 5:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JohnnyinKy,

The average oil usage varies based on driving conditions. The vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed. If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 3,000 miles since the last oil change. 5W-30 is the recommended oil for this vehicle.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 26th, 2011, 7:30 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JohnnyinKy,

The average oil usage varies based on driving conditions. The vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed. If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 3,000 miles since the last oil change. 5W-30 is the recommended oil for this vehicle.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Not sure how that's helpful to his oil consumption.
Old December 26th, 2011, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the olm system doesn't account for particulate build up in the oil for determining oil life. So if you have dirty oil; it can't tell...kinda big flaw.

I don't see how switching to synthetic oil will stop an existing oil consumption problem.

1.5 quarts seems high for a new engine but I don't know what is considered excessive. Some manufacuturer's have methods of determining what is excessive but i don't know for this case.

I've had 2 high mileage cars that use that amount in 3000miles. They never blew blue smoke out the exhaust, showed excessive blow-by gases through the pcv system, never had spark plug deposits or cat problems and both passed 5 gas emission testing.

Last edited by tech2; December 26th, 2011 at 9:25 PM.
Old December 27th, 2011, 6:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service

Louis
GM Customer Service

Thank you for your reply. But what you stated is pretty much in the owners manual which I have read.

I reset the oil life system each time I change the oil. The oil life system showed 52% when I discovered the low oil on the dip stick. So that system really doesn't help much.

Now that I am aware that I "might" have a problem. I will monitor the oil level much more closely. I am still under warranty so hopefully Chevrolet will resolve the issue if it continues. I may have to find another dealer however as I have no confidence in the dealer's service department where I bought my truck.

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado