Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

First Chevy Engine Build, and First Chevy Truck

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2011, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Chevy Engine Build, and First Chevy Truck

This is going to be fun. Well I am new to the Chevy world. I grew up with Fords, own 3 of them. Well I am stepping over to this side. No I am not hear to rag on a Chevy or build up Ford's I came here to ask some questions.

All I own is trucks and I understand the combination of parts is what makes a engine. I know that got Diploma's in Auto Technologies, and one in Heavy Duty Diesel Maintenance and Repair. So you don't have to dumb things down. But my problem is, is that all I know is ford's and all I ever mess with, when I build them for people is either the good old 302/5.0L, 390FE, or the 460 Big Block. So I know there combinations. Now I need help. A good friend of mine offered to let me buy a truck off him, it needs built. He is a chevy guy but he has a bunch of street cars. And his answer for his 3/4T K is a 454. So yeah. I want to make a overly torquey 350. Well 350 block that is. I was thinking on 383, but didnt know if I could go any bigger then a 383? I want all low end torque. Cause the truck I plan on using it mainly to cruise around in.. and to do some light off roading (We have a Off Road show here and they like to get pictures of the trucks with there front ends up on rocks and such) and some field duty so I figure might as well have somethign torquey enough to pull the tractor out with. The engine would be going behind a granny gear 4 spd. So I am also up for suggestions on axle ratios. I was figuring 4.10's or 4.56's. Cause I dont need to go any faster the 55. Anyways can't wait to hear from you guys, and I hope to learn alot.

God Bless You All!
JP