Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Front end rattle and clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2010, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end rattle and clunking noise

Hello new to this forum. and need help..I have had this rattle-clunking noise coming from the left front side for some time, the sound seems to get louder as time passes. Its a 2002 silverado, I have checked it out a few times making sure nothing was loose I thought it was my lower ball joints but had a mechanic check it out and he said every thing seems good. but the funny thing is when I applied the brakes as going over bumps the rattle stops. so i'm thinking it has to do with the brakes but not sure, I keep up with all maitnance as well as the appearance of the truck. just sucks when you have a nice clean truck, then this rattle-clunking noise makes the truck seem like a clunker any input would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old July 25th, 2010, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

I heard this on a few tahoes that drove by my shop and said to myself that the exact same noise on my truck. I check it every time I get out but nothing. its driving me crazy. I'm thinking theres a problem with these year models 99-02 silverado 99-07 classic tahoes.
Old July 26th, 2010, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 94 chevy stepside z71. Its had the klunking sound for about 2 years now. I have no idea what it is. It is only heard when driving off road such as driving thru the yard or maybe hitting some bumps in the road. I replaced all shocks and did not fix the problem. It is EXCEPTIONALLY worse when the truck is put in 4x4. It is location specific to the left front end around the tire area.
Old July 26th, 2010, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

I posted a similiar thread and searched this forum for a answer but all I found was many others with the same problem but no answers as to what it could be. I really hope someone answers this so those of us with this problem can solve it.
Old July 26th, 2010, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

OK guys, I have some info now thanks to this forum. Click on search this forum and type in "front end noise" then go to page 7 and scroll down to "intermediate steering shaft" and when you get to that page go about half way down to a link by snakedoctor and you have your answer. The problem it seems is the intermediate steering shaft and has been a problem on these trucks from 99-07, you may be able to fix it by lubing the bushing that is inside the rubber boot going thru the firewall, you should be able to do this from the inside of the truck, look for where the steering shaft goes thru the firewall and spray lubricant into the rubber boot, it fixed mine for now or you may just want to replace it with the one that is permanently lubed.