Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Fuel Mileage Increase?

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Mileage Increase?

Just got my "07 NBS Crew Cab Z71 and I love it. After a snowboarding trip to PA and back I got around 15-16 MPG's but that was with a Yakima rack and two snowboards on top. I was wondering what recommendations anyone had as far as add on performance parts.

If I was going to just go with one right now which would be better:

1. Cold Air Intake
2. Dual Exhaust System

Won't have the money to get both at once. Was just looking for some ideas and possible brand suggestions. I am looking for increased performance but with a deep throaty sound. I don't want anything too loud. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old December 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Fuel Mileage Increase?

I've put both on my truck and didn't really get much of a difference fuel mileage wise but the 6.0L's never do. But the exhaust was what I went with first because it made a bigger difference to me. I've got a Magna Flow single side exit exhaust. Its pretty quiet while idling but it really has that great sound when you get on it. I've also got a Vera Ram King Cobra Cold Air Intake. It made some difference but like I said the bigger motor is still gonna suck down a lot of fuel no matter what. Hope this helps.
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM
CF Junior Member

hey jimbau, get the new hypertech for your truck, i got one for my dads 07 for christmas and it really wakes it up. it made a pretty fast truck, damn fast. not only is it faster,but he is seeing around 1-2mpg increase on a 200 mile trip to our cabin this week.
Old December 30th, 2007, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

02, Thanks for the help. Which Magna Flow exactly did you get? I have always seen dual systems on trucks, jut wondering what the difference on the dual systems and the single out are? Are the Magna Flows that great? I hear a lot about them and just wondering if the price is worth it compared to say a Flowmaster System. I definately understand and agree with the idea of getting what you pay for.

Cd, Thanks also for the reply. Very interested in this but clueless on it. Is this a chip or what? THanks for the help.

James
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:05 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all honesty all of those are great... now you see the best thing is do all of that together... i understand the money situation believe me im 18 and out of a job right now. but i got a 98 2wd silverado short bed ext. cab. and i did the K&N cold air intake and said screw the muffler and opened up the exhaust a little with some nice purple hornies glasspacks. just dont be a dork like me and install the exhaust package correctly... i gotta go back and paint the packs and re-seat them on the pipes because i was cheap and didnt do it right the first time... and i want to get a chip... if you get more air flow you need more exhaust flow... same with the chip...