Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Fuel pump not working in the cold?

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2014, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump not working in the cold?

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and hoping I can get some help. I bought a 94 GMC and when I bought it the battery was dead and truck wouldnt start so I got a good deal on it. I got it home put it in my garage replaced battery started right up. Drove it a few miles started cutting out turned around parked it outside. And wouldn't start back up. So pushed it in my garage. After it sat in my heated garage all night it started back up. So I parked it outside in negative 40 degrees(alaska). Went to go to work the next day. Wouldnt start again. The engines not getting fuel. So after looking everything over I spliced into the gray wire on the fuel pump and touched it to my battery and still no fuel. I am guessing this means a new fuel pump... but why am I only having this problem in the cold? Is it really the fuel pump or is it something else?
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:42 AM
CF Beginner

And I forgot to mention that the fuel pump isn't kicking on but the wires to the pump are getting power
Old February 11th, 2014, 2:20 AM
CF Beginner

I put the truck inside today and after a few hours it started up. Put the truck back out side and it idled for a few minutes I pressed the gas a little and it cut out and died but fired right back up I am so confused idk where to go from here or where to start. I just cant figure out why after it gets cold the fuel pump won't kick on. Do you guys have qny idea of whats going on?
Old February 11th, 2014, 5:56 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change the fuel filter and see if there is any signs of water in the fuel.

Allan