Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Pump Replacement Issue

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2014, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Replacement Issue

Hey guys, new to the forums here. Thought maybe someone could help with a issue I am currently having.

Just yesterday I began to install a new fuel pump onto my 2000 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 with the 5.3L V8 in it. I have the correct pump and I am using the bed tilt method. I've heard the good and the bad using the tilt method but here is my issue.

I have the new pump in the fuel tank, spliced adapter in, she starts and runs just fine. My problem is with the new gasket around the fuel pump and the lock ring not wanting to go back into place. I cannot seem, for the life of me, to get enough pressure onto the fuel pump to force it down far enough for the lock ring to click back over the ears and stay put.

Every time I get it to a point on one side to lock under the other side just pops out. I have watch numerous videos online of people doing the replacement and their new gasket does not seem to give them trouble and the ring simply clicks right back into place with no forcing involved.

I am just wondering if you all have any suggestions before I remove the whole bed to try and get more pressure onto the pump to get it to go down into the tank further.

Sorry for the novel on a first post, just trying to express all aspects of my issue! I understand some tl;dr's but thanks ahead if anyone can help!

Cheers!
Old February 24th, 2014, 7:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Did you get a Delco pump or an off brand replacement? Is the surface where the new oring goes clean and no debris? Is the old oring out of there or are you trying to install with both the new and old oring? These are just possibilities, not saying you did these. When I did my 99, everything slipped right into place with no problems.
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Sometimes a man has to use a 5 lb mini sledge rather than a 16 ounce hammer

Seriously.....every fuel pump I've replaced without the special tool for the darned old lock ring has been a royal PITA (FYI - the special tool seems to be different for every freaking car or truck on the road so I haven't bought one). I usually end up using a hammer and nice flat tip screw driver and sometimes a friend to hold the lock ring in place while I hammer it on. It sounds rough and crude but I'm actually pretty gentle with it seeing that I don't want to buy an new lock ring.

Just remember, you want those lock rings to fit tightly or else you risk sloshing the gas out and smelling the fumes all the time.
Old February 26th, 2014, 2:28 PM
CF Senior Member

yep old and heavy chevy have good points. you need to check to make sure its clean and old seal is off and then just like i had to do. I would follow heavy chevy advice and give it a little loving and make it fit. I had to sit there for awhile and alot of frustration and finally got it fit down good. Good luck with it
Old February 26th, 2014, 2:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com
yep old and heavy chevy have good points. you need to check to make sure its clean and old seal is off and then just like i had to do. I would follow heavy chevy advice and give it a little loving and make it fit. I had to sit there for awhile and alot of frustration and finally got it fit down good. Good luck with it
A little lovin goes a long way!