Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel system control module

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2013, 1:56 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system control module

I own a 2008 Silverado 5.3 liter 4x4. My fule system control module fuse keeps blowing. I have read that there are problems/recalls on these modules for Chevy's. My question: Does anyone know the location of this module on my truck? I have read that it is above the spare tire by the bumper. Also, the dealer said that it may need to be programmed to the engine control module of the truck (should a new one be installed). Any input would be welcome.
Old January 14th, 2013, 2:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If it's a recall, and you haven't gotten a notice I'd take it to the dealer.
Old January 14th, 2013, 7:06 PM
New User

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
If it's a recall, and you haven't gotten a notice I'd take it to the dealer.
I talked to the dealer and they said it was a recall and had been taken care of in 2009 (before I owned the truck). The service guy I talked to at the dealer said that the module is located under the rear seat in the floor. Told me that I would see a bump in the floor where the module is. I looked and saw nothing. I've also read on the internet that it is located by the rear bumper. I also read that the module has problems with splitting and getting moisture in it which causes shorting. This would make sense to me as to why the fuse keeps popping.
Old January 14th, 2013, 7:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

its either under the spare tire or in the frame rail near the l/r tire. If I'm not mistaken there was a bulletin about water intrustion into the module.
Old January 14th, 2013, 7:50 PM
New User

Originally Posted by tech2
its either under the spare tire or in the frame rail near the l/r tire. If I'm not mistaken there was a bulletin about water intrustion into the module.
Any idea where to find the bulletin?
Old January 14th, 2013, 8:04 PM
Super Moderator

I looked and couldn't find it. I may be thinking of a different model year.
Old April 1st, 2015, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default 09 Silverado 1500 4wd fuel issues

I have an 09 Silverado with the 5.3, it shut off on me had it towed to the dealer where they told me it was my fuel pump. I replaced the pump and my engine light was still on. I was then told it was the fuel flow control module. I replaced this and my light is still on. Truck runs good I'm just getting terrible gas mileage
Old April 1st, 2015, 6:52 AM
Super Moderator

Post the code.
Old December 24th, 2015, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem with my 09 Sierra. Did you ever figure out what was causing the FSCM fuse to blow? I just paid $500 at the dealership for them to put in a new Fuel System Control Module and program it. Fuses are still blowing.

Before I bought the new control module, I was able to run my truck on a 30amp fuse instead of a 20. As long as I remembered to remove the fuse after each use. If I left the fuse in it would drain my battery. I could change the fuse, boost my battery and be on my way.

After I got the new Fuel System Control Module the fuses have been blowing more frequent. I left the fuse in my truck last night to test it, I went out this morning and blew five 30amp fuses just trying to get the truck to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old December 24th, 2015, 6:35 PM
Super Moderator

what year and engine? post the 8th vin character as there are numerous 5.3 builds.
have a look at the wiring diagram. if the only draw on the circuit is the fuel pump than its likely either the wiring is shorted to grd before the load or the Load (fuel pump?) is drawing to much current and blowing the fuse.

disconnect the wiring to the pump and check for short to grd. if the wiring is ok...probably need a fp.

stop running with higher rated fuses or you will damage the wiring or potentially start a vehicle fire.

Quick Reply: Fuel system control module