Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel system control module

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2015, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L

Eighth Vin Character: M
Old January 1st, 2016, 9:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you unplug the fpcm does the fuse stop blowing? If not, the wiring may be shorting to grd intermittently.

the fpcm fuse only feeds the fpcm. the fuse blowing can only be from a bad fpcm, wiring shorted to grd from the fuse box to the fpcm or the fuse box shorted internally.

I would disconnect the battery, the fpcm and do a short to grd check from the fuse pin that feeds the fpcm.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

I found a chaffed wire. Repaired the wire and fixed my problem.

Thanks for the help.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 8:12 PM
Super Moderator

good find.

when was the chaffed wire located. Might be good to know where to look as these things tend to have pattern failures.
Old January 18th, 2016, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry for the late reply, I replied from my phone but forgot to hit submit apparently.

The wires run along the side of my frame from the front, back to my box, and then transitions to the top of my frame at the box. The wires don't have the plastic cover in that transition area. The wires were rubbing on the bottom of my cab, and over time chaffed through one of the wires.
Old January 18th, 2016, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

On my way to work this morning I noticed my truck was driving rough and sounded louder than usual.

When I accelerate, it starts making a bad vibration noise coming from the front end and doesn't have as much power as it should. When I let off on the gas pedal the vibration stops. Between the bad vibration and lack of power I can't go any faster than 120 km/hr.

When I took my truck to the dealer about my previous problem with the FSCM fuse blowing, they replaced my FSCM and reprogrammed it. Which didn't fix my problem, because my problem was a chaffed wire going to my FSCM (which I didn't find until after installing a new FSCM). I fixed the wire 300-500km's ago, and haven't had a problem until this morning.

Do you think my problem is related to them reprogramming after installing my new FSCM, or do I just have bad luck and something else is messing up on me?
Old January 18th, 2016, 7:47 PM
Super Moderator

imo it is something else. I mean you can never say never in this trade but the programming is pretty idiot proof and it would have been there immediately if it was wrong.

hard for me to say what it could be from the description alone.

I can tell your reluctant to return to the dealer after the first trip. I kinda amazed they charged you for fix that did not work; unless they weren't asked to diagnose it.
Old January 18th, 2016, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

They diagnosed it, but couldn't tell me the exact problem. They told me it could have been either my FSCM, or my fuse box is corroded. They offered to replace both parts for a pretty penny but unable to guarantee a fix. So i'm reluctant to return to the dealer, yes.

It seems as though the truck is shuddering due to lack of fuel when I accelerate? Also, when I started it this evening I noticed it turned over a few times before firing up. That makes me believe it's not getting enough fuel as well.
Old January 18th, 2016, 9:54 PM
Super Moderator

yep, don't go back to that dealer.

do you have a scan tool?

if the system is going lean at all times or during a high fuel demand acceleration event....it will show on the fuel trim data

is the exhaust manifold cracked or are there broken manifold bolts?

Last edited by tech2; January 18th, 2016 at 9:59 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 12:51 PM
Newly Registered

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 4.8 v8 4 wheel drive I went out to start my truck one morning and it didn't start fuel pump was not kicking on just replaced it less than eight months ago I have no power to my fuel system I checked the fuel pump fuse with a test light and there's no power fuse is not blown. Every other fuse in the truck is good. Why am I not getting power to my fuel system? What could be the issue.?

Quick Reply: Fuel system control module