Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Gasser or Diesel truck to buy? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/gasser-diesel-truck-buy-60064/)

jonslayton August 19th, 2013 3:31 PM

Gasser or Diesel truck to buy?

Im bout to buy a new truck. I have a 2004 silverado 4.8 v8 and hate it. Im wanting a 2006 atleast but not sure if I should get a 6.0 gas or 3/4 dmax. Ive always thought gassers wer faster but it seems like what you can do to a gasser nowadays you can do to a diesel and the diesels can be faster. Ive worked oilfield and drove a few modded cummins and I loved them but I hate dodges beside that engine. Love the smoke and powerof a diesel but i know about gasser engines alot better then diesels, ive had two v8 silverado since ive been driving. I hate being outrun at stoplights so I dont know if hp of a gasser or torque of a diesel is better for me. The mpg and lo g lasting of the diesel is a plus for me to.*Which will be faster with just basics mods, intake, exhaust, tuner?Does it cost a lot to make a dmax fast?*Is a 6.0 faster stock then a dmax with the basic mods?*I love trucks either way and love blowin peoples doors off, just dont where I want to go next

strokinpower August 19th, 2013 4:19 PM

If you want a diesel truck that makes a ton of power for relativily cheap get a 6.4 powerstroke. I have a 2008 f250 that runs an 8.1 second 1/8th mile. The duramax is a good truck as well but they can only handle about 90 hp over stock before you limp the transmission. The powerstroke, cummins and duramax's are all good trucks that have their flaws. The front suspension on the GM's is just plain pathetic and the Allison is a joke. Like you said the cummins is great but up until now the trucks themselves weren't worth a crap. The 6.0 and up powerstrokes have the best transmissions by far and probably the nicest and most comfortable interiors but have some other engine/emissions issues. It would take a lot more money to make a gas truck be able to keep up with a modded diesel but it would be FAR less expensive to maintain and repair.

country_09 August 19th, 2013 6:20 PM

I've seen far more 6.0 and 6.4 strokers go down for a transmission failure over and Allison with the same supporting mods.

Really if you want fast get a car. Diesels are quick with just a few things done to em, but fast takes a lot of money. My dad has a 08 vmax 6.0 and with 4.10 gears stock, Longtube headers, intake, and a custom tune, he blows by diesels with mods that they claim will roast that piece of chit chevy. And he's sittin on 305/55/20 trail graps. All in all, it's about the mods you do to it. Hell that 4.8 you have could fkn blow diesels away with just a few simple things, or 2 really big things that would ultimately save you money instead of buyin a new truck.

jonslayton August 19th, 2013 6:22 PM

Originally Posted by strokinpower (Post 254921)
If you want a diesel truck that makes a ton of power for relativily cheap get a 6.4 powerstroke. I have a 2008 f250 that runs an 8.1 second 1/8th mile. The duramax is a good truck as well but they can only handle about 90 hp over stock before you limp the transmission. The powerstroke, cummins and duramax's are all good trucks that have their flaws. The front suspension on the GM's is just plain pathetic and the Allison is a joke. Like you said the cummins is great but up until now the trucks themselves weren't worth a crap. The 6.0 and up powerstrokes have the best transmissions by far and probably the nicest and most comfortable interiors but have some other engine/emissions issues. It would take a lot more money to make a gas truck be able to keep up with a modded diesel but it would be FAR less expensive to maintain and repair.

I thought about a powerstroke but dont know much about them at all beside the chasis and **** is badass. They all do have thier flaws its got me confused af on wat one I want to go with.

jonslayton August 19th, 2013 6:33 PM

Originally Posted by country_09 (Post 254932)
I've seen far more 6.0 and 6.4 strokers go down for a transmission failure over and Allison with the same supporting mods.

Really if you want fast get a car. Diesels are quick with just a few things done to em, but fast takes a lot of money. My dad has a 08 vmax 6.0 and with 4.10 gears stock, Longtube headers, intake, and a custom tune, he blows by diesels with mods that they claim will roast that piece of chit chevy. And he's sittin on 305/55/20 trail graps. All in all, it's about the mods you do to it. Hell that 4.8 you have could fkn blow diesels away with just a few simple things, or 2 really big things that would ultimately save you money instead of buyin a new truck.

I refuse to get a car, use my bed to mucht. Id keep my 4.8 cause ive seen vids of pretty quick ones but its got problems that I dont want to deal with. I figured if I get a new vehicle I might as well get one that im happy with and step up the power a little bit. Its not necessarily about going fast like drag wise but whatever im driving has to be somewhat fast where im not getting my ass beat by every car i pull up to. I know what I can do to a 6.0 but my envy in diesels has got me wanting to try one.

strokinpower August 19th, 2013 6:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by country_09 (Post 254932)

Thats ridiculous man. The allison will not hold hardly any extra power where the torqshift will handle over double. Here is a pic of my truck a while back racing my buddies reg cab long bed dmax. His trans went out after this run.
Attachment 11036

It is also ridiculous saying you could make a 4.8 or any gas motor blow a diesel away with "a few simple things." You may be able to beat a 7.3 with a basic super chip or an old cummins or something. Just a few months ago on the way to the beach I blew a vmax's doors off three times rolling down the road, twice from a 45 roll and one from a 50 roll wasn't even close.

strokinpower August 19th, 2013 6:51 PM

http://www.dieselhub.com/compare/tor...n-vs-48RE.html
TorqShift vs. Allison vs. 68RFE

JK23112 August 19th, 2013 7:25 PM

My 2004 Silverado 1500 is pretty much bone-stock, save for Flowmaster cat-back exhaust; but it is still surprisingly quick for a truck. It has the short 3.73:1 gearing and, while not exactly a Mustang GT by any stretch, it will get out of its own way with no effort at all.

The Dodge/Cummins diesel is a great combo and has one mean-ass growl to it. The Duramax in the Chevy/GMC is a good mill, but the automatic transmission is not up to handling very much extra power. The F-Series with the Powerstroke is a hoary beast; but beware transmission issues in pre-2004 models. The 6.0 diesels supposedly have had a lot of issues, but if you get one "studded" and have it thoroughly checked out, it can be bumped up quite a bit. I don't know much about the 6.4 or the new 6.7 Powerstroke engines, other than that they are a lot quieter than the old ones.

It is cool to "mod up" your truck, but remember that all the diesel trucks are of the 2500/heavy duty variety - so they cost more to buy, maintain, fuel and repair than the lowly half-ton gassers. If you do not NEED to haul very heavy loads all the time, maybe getting a nice 1500 gasser truck and "juicing it up" a bit might be a better path to take.

The 5.3L "Vortec" V8 is no slouch bone-stock and know that it is still a Chevy small-block; one of the most legendary and popular engines of all time anywhere in the world. Mine has about 300 hp and getting to 375 would not require a lot of effort - and it'd be much cheaper than buying a heavy duty oil-burner.

Good luck whatever you do, though!

strokinpower August 19th, 2013 7:43 PM

Originally Posted by JK23112 (Post 254940)

My 2004 Silverado 1500 is pretty much bone-stock, save for Flowmaster cat-back exhaust; but it is still surprisingly quick for a truck. It has the short 3.73:1 gearing and, while not exactly a Mustang GT by any stretch, it will get out of its own way with no effort at all.

The Dodge/Cummins diesel is a great combo and has one mean-ass growl to it. The Duramax in the Chevy/GMC is a good mill, but the automatic transmission is not up to handling very much extra power. The F-Series with the Powerstroke is a hoary beast; but beware transmission issues in pre-2004 models. The 6.0 diesels supposedly have had a lot of issues, but if you get one "studded" and have it thoroughly checked out, it can be bumped up quite a bit. I don't know much about the 6.4 or the new 6.7 Powerstroke engines, other than that they are a lot quieter than the old ones.

It is cool to "mod up" your truck, but remember that all the diesel trucks are of the 2500/heavy duty variety - so they cost more to buy, maintain, fuel and repair than the lowly half-ton gassers. If you do not NEED to haul very heavy loads all the time, maybe getting a nice 1500 gasser truck and "juicing it up" a bit might be a better path to take.

The 5.3L "Vortec" V8 is no slouch bone-stock and know that it is still a Chevy small-block; one of the most legendary and popular engines of all time anywhere in the world. Mine has about 300 hp and getting to 375 would not require a lot of effort - and it'd be much cheaper than buying a heavy duty oil-burner.

Good luck whatever you do, though!

Yes the 4R110 found in the 7.3 super duty isn't the best trans. If you put in a bigger cooler they will last a while. You are very right about the more expensive maintenance. My truck holds 15 qts of oil, the fuel filter kit costs about $46. I change my oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k.

On a side note I have an 07 tahoe that my wife drives and it is kind of a slug thanks to torque management. I can't wait to get a black bear tune for it and wake it up some.

country_09 August 19th, 2013 9:21 PM

Originally Posted by strokinpower (Post 254936)
Thats ridiculous man. The allison will not hold hardly any extra power where the torqshift will handle over double. Here is a pic of my truck a while back racing my buddies reg cab long bed dmax. His trans went out after this run.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ler/racing.jpg

It is also ridiculous saying you could make a 4.8 or any gas motor blow a diesel away with "a few simple things." You may be able to beat a 7.3 with a basic super chip or an old cummins or something. Just a few months ago on the way to the beach I blew a vmax's doors off three times rolling down the road, twice from a 45 roll and one from a 50 roll wasn't even close.

I'm not sayin all fords a crap, I'm just sayin I've seen more ford tranny's go out than I've seen Allison's go out. Realistically if you have the mods you say you have and are runnin 8.1 in 1/8 mile then that tranny you have won't last much longer. Actually just drove 3 fords in the past 3 weeks(6.0 and two 6.4s) of my uncles, a 6.6 Dmax/Allison combo, and a 5.9 with a built sun coast. All have similar mods blah blah programmer, intake, straight piped. And honestly the cummins pulled the best, but you could tell the tranny wouldn't hold up to it. The Dmax and ford were pretty close, but I go back to seein more fords go out than Allison's so I stick with that. And no it's not ridiculous, I've driven my dads truck plenty of times and yes have blown them away even from a stand still and a roll, pretty close at first through 2 gears but still out by a cab and a half then once 3rd hits I pull like crazy on em. Now are they apparently fully built and pushin however many hp/tq you are? Probably not. But it's happened. Seein their face is priceless as well. I've also raced a buddies cammed 5.3 and had him by 2 1/2 car lengths. Without the rims and tires he has, it'd run in the high 12s low 13s at a 1/4 mile. Once a cam comes in to play, be lookin at low/mid 12s.

I get that you want a diesel, but maintenance will kill it for most people as they're 2x-3x as much to keep up. Get a 6.0 in a 1500 with 4.10 gears and do the few things you want and drive it. His will pull our 20ft trailer with 5 four wheelers and stuff in the bed to our lease no problem and doesn't skip a beat. Put it in cruise control, even though you're not suppose to, and it'll hold it.

Also strokin, what exactly are you on a chevy forum for if you're all over the pstroke business?