Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which gearing would be best for me

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2009, 3:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which gearing would be best for me

Ok I have a 90 Sierra with a 383 stroker. I want to change the rear gearing I was wondering what would be the best ratio to go with. Also could someone point me in the direction of a good site to buy them off of.
Old October 31st, 2009, 6:14 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can check out the calculators on this site, it is also where I buy my gears.
http://www.ringpinion.com/Calculators.aspx
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

This answer depends largely upon what kind of driving you do. The more highway, the lower the gears.(like 342s)

There's mid-range, like 373s(good all purpose) and 410s which aren't too extreme, but give a little more oomph for towing and low end power.

Assuming you're using an off-road vehicle with 33s for muddin' and need the low end, you need something more like 456s.

We need a little more information. First, what does your glovebox RPO code say you already have? (gt4,gt5, etc) Second, what don't you like about the gears you have now?(Too little low end power, not enough gas economy, not enough top end speed,etc.)

Third, do you pull trailers or heavy loads, drive a lot of highway, or what?
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rivereye
This answer depends largely upon what kind of driving you do. The more highway, the lower the gears.(like 342s)

There's mid-range, like 373s(good all purpose) and 410s which aren't too extreme, but give a little more oomph for towing and low end power.

Assuming you're using an off-road vehicle with 33s for muddin' and need the low end, you need something more like 456s.

We need a little more information. First, what does your glovebox RPO code say you already have? (gt4,gt5, etc) Second, what don't you like about the gears you have now?(Too little low end power, not enough gas economy, not enough top end speed,etc.)

Third, do you pull trailers or heavy loads, drive a lot of highway, or what?
My truck is a street/strip truck. Well I guess that would be the best description. I want some more acceleration. It is good but I know it could be better.

As for pulling trailers, my truck does not even have a hitch lol.
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

If you really wanted some pick up, I would get some 4:10s. You will burn more gas though. Good all around, get 3:73s. Chances are that you already have 3:73s.
Old November 1st, 2009, 1:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cowboyslawncare
If you really wanted some pick up, I would get some 4:10s. You will burn more gas though. Good all around, get 3:73s. Chances are that you already have 3:73s.
K 4.10 it is then. I already onl get around 8 mpg so a little less won't bother me.
Old November 1st, 2009, 1:31 PM
Super Moderator

Cool

Have you verified what your gear ratio is now?

You're gonna be really PISSED if you get 410s, and you had(OOPS!) 410s...
Old November 1st, 2009, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rivereye
Have you verified what your gear ratio is now?

You're gonna be really PISSED if you get 410s, and you had(OOPS!) 410s...

I havent verified yet. But I will before I buy. The reason I think that they are not 4.10 is because my truck does not seem to have as much get up and go as it should.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Let me know what them prices look like if you don't mind. I'm looking into getting 4:10s. By the way, if i'm not mistaking, you can call a chevy/gmc dealer around you and give them your vin and they can look up the gear ratio you hav now.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 3:56 PM
Super Moderator

Cool

It's about 1600$ to 2000$ out the door for new gears, if you have it done by a shop.

Be sure the shop reprograms your PCM with the new gear ratio, this way your speedometer will still be accurate, and your brake sensors won't go nutz.

Look at your RPO codes in your glove box. It's a white sticker which says "Service Parts Identification" and has a bunch of 3 digit alpha-numeric codes which identifies your truck's specific options packages. GT4 is 373s,GT5 is 410s, and GT6 is 342s.

There's a thread which identifies most of the RPOs in the Tech section of CF.

Quick Reply: Which gearing would be best for me