Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

GM 6.2L non-AFM engines - Any huge Problems?

Old January 7th, 2015, 9:18 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM 6.2L non-AFM engines - Any huge Problems?

Looking for feedback on the GM 6.2L in Denali and Chev Trucks - have two 2007 5.3L in new body style pickup and suburban and am handing the 07 Silv down to my daughter (has 205K miles on it but runs decent) this year.

Am looking at getting a 6.2L since have heard good things about power and no AFM up to 2014. Given the longevity of the 5.3s I have had (we also had a 2001 suburban with 185K on it), am thinking a low mile (sub 40K) GMC/Chev with a 6.2L should reach 200K no problem.

thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old March 19th, 2018, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 6.2 L engines

I know it is too late for you. I noticed you posted this back in 2015. But I do think it is worth posting for anyone else that might want an answer to the same question. And if you purchased your truck, I certainly hope you are not or do not have this issue with yours.

I can't speak for everyone out there, but I do feel that there are major issues with this engine. I have a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid. I purchased it new in 2011. It has 70,000 miles on it right now. (obviously we don't put allot of miles on one).
I am waiting for them to find a new engine to put in the vehicle. (waiting, two weeks now) I had planned to have this SUV for years to come. But I am told in 2007 GM changed their engine. I know of one guy in Alabama who is now waiting on the 4th engine for his 2008 Chevrolet pickup. (same engine). I have a mechanic friend who told me they are repairing and replacing these engines by 80,000 miles left and right.
Keep in mind I am a very old Chevy fan. In past years I have owned several trucks and loved them all. But I am now faced with the choice to pick up my Tahoe, that needs a new engine, and try to trade it. Or spend the money to have the engine replaced knowing it is the same engine. Unfortunately I would have to find something besides a GM produce that I could be happy with. (doesn't make me happy)
Apparently the engines are not very readily available right now since two of us (that I know of) are waiting to find one. GM may have to manufacture one for mine. Not sure what that means in timeline, but what I am being told is that it would be the same engine I have now.
I can't imagine why they haven't done something to improve this problem.
Basically if you are the person who will trade in 50,000 miles, you should be fine. If you plan on keeping it, you might try to do some more research.
Hope this helps.
Old November 16th, 2023, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default Worth stating...

The response to the original post about major problems with the engine, does not apply to the original post. The person claiming major problems is talking about the hybrid version. Completely a different animal, that does have problems... but as for the 6.2's non AFM DOD, I would venture to say probably one of the best builds ever.

Rule of thumb is do not buy a hybrid if you expect reliability and long life. Nothing like the engine shutting off at a stop light and then starting up and taking off at full throttle and expect your cam bearings to survive, LOL