Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Going to Look at a 2004 Silverado Tomorrow ... things to watch out for

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2010, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Look at a 2004 Silverado Tomorrow ... things to watch out for

Hello all this is my first post. I am going tomorrow to look at a 2004 Silverado crew cab short bed with 115,000 miles on it. I don't know much about these trucks other than the fact that my friend has a 2003 and it has never given him any problems. Anyway, I was wondering if there were any known issues that are rampant in these trucks which I should look out for. Also, I wanted to get opinions on how the 2wds (this truck is one) are in the snow. It will be a work truck and I cant be left stranded. Any help will be much appreciated. thanks a lot.

Last edited by bayonnebandit; October 9th, 2010 at 7:41 AM.
Old October 8th, 2010, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2003 silverado ext cab with near 166K miles on it. These are the only things I have done to it.
Chevy recalled the steering shaft from it knocking
Chevy recalled the tailgate cables
I replaced brakes with aftermarket rotors and brake pads at 99k (first set of brakes BTW)
Oxygen sensors at 125k
I replaced both front hubs at 148k miles
AC went out at 159k miles
My valves are rattling at high RPM's around 4500RPM
These are THE ONLY things I have repaired or replaced other than tires and regular maintenance

Not much snow in Alabama so I can't comment on that
Old October 9th, 2010, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks dctract. My Land Rover had more problems in six months than you had over the lifetime of your truck . The price of the Silverado is 4500 which I can probably talk him down to around 4000. The reason why it is so low is that there is front end damage (its going to need a new bumper and grill) and the guy doesnt want to deal with it. I am estimating that there is about 1500-2000 worth of damage to make the truck prestine again. So, all in, the truck would run me about 5,500. Does this sound like a good deal or should I pass? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi bayonnebandit,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

My CD player quit once under warranty in my 04, then also again 18 months out of warranty.

Be sure all the speakers are working, or replaced.

Make sure the engine has no overheating or leaky waterpump issues. I lost a WP at 24K, in warranty, and 48K out of warranty. The OEM fan clutch is a brick, it weighs about 15 lbs, aftermarket units are much lighter. I suppose that contributed to the rapid WP wear.
Old October 9th, 2010, 4:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey OP, if you are going to be replacing body parts and stuff, keep in mind that there
are over 500 companies that make aftermarket parts which is another reason why I
like GM's, especially Chevy. There is alot of competition which keeps prices low.

check out
car-stuff.com
autopartswarehouse.com
carpartswholesale.com
jegs.com
and more
Old October 9th, 2010, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks to all for your replies. I went to go see the truck today and it runs well without any oil/coolant leaks that I could notice. One thing that did happen is that a bracket from the bumper was pushed into the A/C condenser and I'm guessing it made a hole/freon leak because the A/C doesnt work. Oh well I can worry about that next summer. One thing that does worry me though is that the lines going to the smaller condenser/radiator thats sits in front of the large A/C condenser are mangled. I'm not sure what this part is but I figured it might be a transmission fluid cooler (a bmw I once had had a setup like that) so I didnt want to drive it for fear of overheating something. Can anyone shed some light on what this part does. Thanks a lot.

I have attached some pictures of the truck so you guys can take a look at it. As you can see it is going to need a new bumper for sure but the headlights, running lights, and grill all seem to be in good shape. Just a few of the plastic brackets on the inside of the hood need to be replace so that these items can go back on. Anyway please take a look and let me know what you think. Sorry for the long post.
Attached Thumbnails Going to Look at a 2004 Silverado Tomorrow ... things to watch out for-pa090924.jpg   Going to Look at a 2004 Silverado Tomorrow ... things to watch out for-pa090925.jpg   Going to Look at a 2004 Silverado Tomorrow ... things to watch out for-pa090926.jpg   Going to Look at a 2004 Silverado Tomorrow ... things to watch out for-pa090934.jpg   Going to Look at a 2004 Silverado Tomorrow ... things to watch out for-pa090933.jpg  

Old October 9th, 2010, 9:05 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you live or better yet how much snow do you get? If it snow regularly you should pass. 2wd pick ups are not very good in the snow.
Old October 10th, 2010, 1:15 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya know.... for about the same price as it would be for the front end of your truck, u coud probabley get a caddy front clip for it....just puttin the custom birdie in your ear
Old October 10th, 2010, 9:18 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the owner of a 2004 2wd Silverado, I can tell you that they are absolutely horrible in snow. Ever watch a duck on ice? Well, that should explain it.

Aside from that, the Silverado (especially with the 5.3L V8) is a good, solid truck that will get you where you are going with very little drama.
Old October 10th, 2010, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Well in NJ the snow is either hit or miss. Some years we get a lot. Others none at all. I guess I could use my 4wd SUV on days that it was going to snow but that would be a hassle. Are the 2wd trucks rear wheel drive. If it is then it would be the light weight in the back that would cause it to be terrible in the snow like you guys say it is. Perhaps some sand bags would give it some grip back there.

Hey K5, you seem to know how much it is going to cost me to get her running again. How much (just a rought estimate) would you say just repairing her would be vesus getting a caddy front clip. I have to decide how much I am willing to offer the guy and I need to know how much it is going to cost me to get it fixed. I understand its difficult to do by pictures and I won't hold you to it ...... I just want an idea.

Thanks to all for the replies. You guys have been a great help.

Quick Reply: Going to Look at a 2004 Silverado Tomorrow ... things to watch out for