Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2009, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gremlins

I need to work out a few gremlins in my 03 z71.
First off, my blinkers are on the fritz. When I signal left, the indicator will either not blink at all or will stay lit, but this is just an intermittent problem.
Secondly, my remote for the keyless entry does not work, I took it to the dealer and they tested the remote and it checked out. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the receiver or the computer. I don't know if this problem is related, but sometimes when I unlock the door with they key, the horn starts honking until I turn on the ignition.
Last issue that I am having is a water leak on the driver side. The water drips, on to the rubber floor mat into a puddle, from the fuse panel cover on the side of the dash. I have no idea where it enters from.
These aren't major problems but they're starting to build up and get annoying.
Old September 21st, 2009, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

can anybody help me with any of these problems?
Old September 21st, 2009, 8:21 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its possible that wherever the water is coming from is getting on your electrical system causing the random problems. Do you see corrosion in the fuse panel or anywhere its leaking from on anything electrical?

If it is in fact Gremlins just remember the 3 rules.

Dont get them wet.

Keep them from daylight

& dont feed them after midnight

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; September 21st, 2009 at 8:33 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 5:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ha ha, yeah gremlins,HEY!! GET OFFA ME! OW!!

Seriously, is the water only showing up when you use air conditioning, or do you smell a sweet pancake syrup smell?

If it's just while you use the A/C, the drain tube to the condensation tray is blocked, it comes out on the passenger firewall, you can unblock it with a coat hanger.

If it's the warm water(steams up your windows) your heater core is shot. Do a thread search for ShawnVW's post on a heater core replacement in this section from about a year ago.
Old December 14th, 2009, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Remote for the keyless entry does not work: May need to re-program.

Water leak on the driver side: Sounds like a leak around the windshield.
Old December 14th, 2009, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by WestTXz71
I need to work out a few gremlins in my 03 z71.
First off, my blinkers are on the fritz. When I signal left, the indicator will either not blink at all or will stay lit, but this is just an intermittent problem.
Secondly, my remote for the keyless entry does not work, I took it to the dealer and they tested the remote and it checked out. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the receiver or the computer. I don't know if this problem is related, but sometimes when I unlock the door with they key, the horn starts honking until I turn on the ignition.
Last issue that I am having is a water leak on the driver side. The water drips, on to the rubber floor mat into a puddle, from the fuse panel cover on the side of the dash. I have no idea where it enters from.
These aren't major problems but they're starting to build up and get annoying.
Usually any issues I have had with my blinkers similar to yours is a bad fuse.

Maybe a battery issue with the remote.
Old December 15th, 2009, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

As far as the blinkers are concerned...Check ALL of your marker bulbs. Some bulbs have 2 Elements in them (burn, then brighter burn/brakes) if one of the elements is shot it can cause havoc with your blinkers. They are sometimes hard to spot so look closely.

The previous post on the windshield leak, AC drain, heater core are spot on. Good Luck!
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

This was a classic problem on the 1st generation VW Rabbits. Water would leak around the base of the radio antenna on the left fender and run down the cable to a spot where it would drip onto the top ("back") of the fuse box. Made lots of gremlins one of which was shorting the starter circuit. Rabbits were seen hopping up steps of buildings - seriously. Left in gear without the handbrake engaged.