Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   grinding and knocking, silverado (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/grinding-knocking-silverado-50182/)

camotruck55 April 23rd, 2012 3:57 PM

grinding and knocking, silverado

I have a 2000 Z71 1500. When I am driving straight down the road I can hear an awful grinding (I can also feel it at my feet). When I turn SLIGHTLY to the right, it goes away. When I turn the wheel halfway to the right, like if I am taking a long corner, it knocks. I can also feel that at my feet. Also, when I was doing the long turn, I swear I heard my tire chirp.

Is this the front axle cv joint going bad? Its the only thing I can think of. I thought maybe it was a bearing, but with the knock in the long turn, I thought maybe the axle.

Any help would be appreciated, I am checking local prices and when I am sure what it is, I will be replacing it.

Thanks.

cleveland63b April 23rd, 2012 9:40 PM

could be a wheel bearing...maybe cv...just have to starting checking out the front end

Doug Roberts April 23rd, 2012 10:01 PM

Jack up truck and play with wheels and find clunk or grind

camotruck55 April 24th, 2012 8:39 PM

UPDATE: I thought I had it figured out, changed out the cv axle. It helped the problem a little but I still have some grinding and a knock. When the truck is jacked up, the tire feels a bit loose, has some play in it.

I'm thinking of changing the bearing next, I don't know what else would be grinding. Also, cant tell if its grinding when I spin the wheel, just when I am on the road going over 20 or so.

cleveland63b April 26th, 2012 8:20 PM

probably the bearing, grab the top and bottom of the tire if it rocks then the bearings loose

Nicoward April 27th, 2012 1:10 PM

Hey Everyone, can some one please give me a ball park figure as to how much it will cost to convert my 1990 v8 chevy silverado to a v6?

Doug Roberts April 27th, 2012 1:41 PM

cleveland63b April 28th, 2012 9:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nicoward (Post 214038)
Hey Everyone, can some one please give me a ball park figure as to how much it will cost to convert my 1990 v8 chevy silverado to a v6?

first of all you should have started your own thread, second...why?

Fishinfooleric10@aol.com April 29th, 2012 7:04 PM

For camotruck55 yes it definitely sounds like a wheel bearing, but I would definitely check those ball joints. Wiggle the tire up and down and side to side and look at ball joints, tie rod ends

camotruck55 April 30th, 2012 5:47 PM

Cleveland and Fish, I ended up changing out the wheel bearing over the weekend. That fixed the problem, the bearings were all beat up and bone dry. The ball joints and tie rods seemed to be ok, so I think this is the end of the problem. Thanks for all your help.