Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Has anybody ever retrofitted disk brakes on the rear instead of drum brakes?

Old December 8th, 2010, 2:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has anybody ever retrofitted disk brakes on the rear instead of drum brakes?

Is it possible/feasible to do so?
I know that all the stopping power on any vehicle is always the front brakes and the front are disks
which is good. But I would like a more uniformed system, disk brakes all around for better stopping power,
and just for the sake of being in uniform.

So how hard/expensive would it be to do so? Is it possible to just go to pick n pull or some
Other junk yard, get a caliper and mounting assembly off the front end of another silverado,
Then mount it on my rear end? Or am I severely over-simplifying what it would take to do so?
I have not yet messed with the brakes on this truck and don't know what they look like when
I take the wheels off, so go easy on me if I am talking crazy talk and my idea is too radical..

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; December 8th, 2010 at 2:35 PM.
Old December 8th, 2010, 5:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They make kits that they sell in the back of HotRod and those car magazines. I think a complete set up is like $600-1000. You ll need rotors, mounting brakets for the calipers, calipers, and a new E-brake setup. The kits include all that, new bolts, lugstuds, etc.

Last edited by RacerX; December 8th, 2010 at 8:05 PM.
Old December 8th, 2010, 7:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh ok thanks for lettin me know that. I'll have to check that out.
Old December 8th, 2010, 8:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will also have to have some special valves and sensors for the antilock brakes system.
If the rotors and caliper were to be the same size, a bias/balancing valve would have to be used to make adjustments.
As you cant have the same pressure/volume of brake fluid going to the back as what goes to the front.
Or you will be locking up the rear brakes before the fronts can stop the truck.
You might be better off swapping parts (entire rearend assy) into yours from a newer GM truck.