Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   headers on a 5.3? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/headers-5-3-a-30629/)

SlowLeak February 22nd, 2010 10:21 AM

headers on a 5.3?

i was thinking about puttin headers on my 05 5.3 and didnt know if anyone knew of what kind of hp number increases (or decreases) i would be lookin at

country_09 February 22nd, 2010 1:21 PM

I am looking into the same thing.. I was looking at the pacesetter longtube headers because my friend has them on his truck and it seems to get up and go pretty good

SlowLeak February 22nd, 2010 1:49 PM

yeah i haven't looked into them that much, i heard that on the ls1's they slow em down, i didnt know if it was the same situation on the 5.3's or not...

country_09 February 22nd, 2010 2:32 PM

from talking to my friends dad(he owns his own shop) he says that you should see a pretty good increase in power and the sound will be much better. I plan on getting them for my 5.3 here soon

gotstylez February 22nd, 2010 3:24 PM

probably about 10-30 hp

ASV February 22nd, 2010 9:58 PM

Originally Posted by gotstylez (Post 132177)
probably about 10-30 hp

Research the headers on the net and post the chart here as to what RPM range they come in..................Might be surprised what you find.

Small inch engines benefit form some back pressure.

Question is is it really faster or just louder playing with your head??.:confused:

tat2dup81 February 23rd, 2010 2:36 PM

yeah i been wantin to do the same. but for better flow/performance than better sound.

ASV February 23rd, 2010 10:02 PM

The thing to remember is engines are air pumps.The more air and the better use of air/fuel mixtures,the better the output.

Simple right??.

Physics laws say the bigger the air pump,the lower the torque band starts and the broader that band will be.Also the a bigger air pump is(engine) the bigger the hp will be.The laws of physics also states the smaller the air pump gets the torque band is more narrow and the hp and torque is in a higher RPM range and with less output.Some of that law has been fooled by the current day electronics ,but only marginally.These are facts of what you own.

Here is the point I am making.You can not effectively increase hp/torque with what is a hour glass solution.(headers)It does not increase air flow threw limited stock injection systems without mods,you can not increase air flow threw stock intakes without mods,you can not increase air flow threw stock heads/valves/cam,without mods.

That is the hour glass solution I am suggesting when you just do part of the job by adding headers.

Let alone you change the sensors readings effecting the spark and fuel curves by adding headers.

We have all hear of combo's.Right??.That means a smooth effective path of the air fuel mixture.No cheap answers really to get the max results.

We have seen articles about mods and dyno tests.Example of that is:they mod'ed the injection and did a dyno pull.(still using the stock headers)Then mod'ed the intake,then another dyno pull,then the heads/valves changed or mod'ed and yet still another dyno pull,cam change,yepper,another pull,(still using stock headers).Now they add a advertising vendors headers and rave about the change in the dyno pulls numbers.Errrrrrr,hey do they think we are really that stupid????.What about all the other mods that made it happen??.

Bottom line-headers all on their own do not,can not make that much difference and will interfere with currently day electronics which should be of no surprize mod'ed to work as it should when headers are installed.

Lastly,headers use is to scavenge the exhaust out of the combustion chamber and works off pulses.The faster they are the more effective the use of headers are.Just by the nature of the way headers work in physics,it is always more usefully in higher RPM ranges which unless a gear change is made(yepper higher gear ratios more mods and more $$),normal driving will not be effected by the install of headers.

So here it is.Patchwork mods result in patchwork results.No getting around it.It is what it is.

SlowLeak February 24th, 2010 11:02 AM

yeah.. i dont know what to do.. income tax is coming in and im thinkin either headers or a mild cam.. only thing with a cam is i dont know how big or small to go.. im driving the truck everyday and i'd rather not turn my knock sensors off if i dont have to..

desrtrat February 24th, 2010 3:22 PM

Originally Posted by SlowLeak (Post 132128)
i was thinking about puttin headers on my 05 5.3 and didnt know if anyone knew of what kind of hp number increases (or decreases) i would be lookin at

headers, and a good flowing exhaust should give about 15-20 hp maybe.. save up some money and do a tune also to really help on the system work good..

good luck