Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Are headers a problem? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/headers-problem-12299/)

98Silverado1500 January 6th, 2008 12:18 PM

Are headers a problem?

I've talked to two different exhaust shops about putting a true dual exhaust with headers on my 1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7 and both said I shouldn't do it. They said there would be no point to it and that the headers would get too hot and they would have to keep getting torqued down so that they wont leak. I also live in tucson arizona where temps can hit 110 in the summer. Has anyone ever heard of this and is it bad to put headers on my truck? It will be part of a package upgrade im going to do including air intake, fuel intake, programmer, vented hood, and a tranny rebuild. Let me know if headers are practical. Thank You.

EvansBlue January 6th, 2008 6:29 PM

RE: Are headers a problem?

That sounds verycounter-intuitive. Headers should decrease the heat due to better flow away form the engine.

You will have to tighten them every year or so and make sure they aren't leaking.The rest is up to you. You will not see much of a performance gain with them, but they certainly will help.

98Silverado1500 January 11th, 2008 4:34 PM

I see what you mean by headers taking more hot air away from the engine but what they are saying i think is that the headers themselves get too hot from the air and engine combined so that they will warp. They all act like i shouldn't even be thinking about putting headers on my truck andit confused me. Anyone even have experience with headers on trucks similiar to a 98 silverado?

hquick April 25th, 2008 4:57 AM

If you want to spend some decent money and get some ceramic coated headers...you will see very little heat coming from them.
You will deffinately see a small performance gain but you really need to do the whole exhaust if you want some decent gains. The better you can make the motor breathe..the better it will run.

313hitman April 26th, 2008 9:26 AM

I had a z71 silverado with a 5.7 vortec. I put shorty headers on with duals and put muffler eliminator corvette pipes at the end. it sounded great and stayed a couple degrees cooler than stock until it got sold.

javelin350 April 27th, 2008 12:13 PM

ceramic coated headers and ever some exhaust wrap should work just fine. What are you going to do about the cat?

edy952 February 16th, 2017 6:01 PM

I bought a set of stainless steel headers,long tube and have had nothing but problems. Huge loss of power,my exhaust wouldn't line up. It was a mess. The header holes did not line up quite right so i tried drilling them out. After weeks of trying different parts i got them hooked up. All i got for all my time and money was a huge exhaust leak and no power. If there are good headers to be had,don't be cheap. Buy a well known brand,better yet let a professional do it.