Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

I knew I shouldn't of gone through that puddle!

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2008, 1:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I knew I shouldn't of gone through that puddle!

Well it all happened when I felt the need to go through some water.... Not knowingly it was 4 feet deep (an Explorer the day before made it seem not deep at all.) guess I happened to choose the wrong spot. Well my truck was in 2WD and I floored it hoping to make it, didnt make it. Stalled then completely stopped, later the truck wont even start, well it does but just a little bit, but it lags in idle then just shuts off like thier is a bad ground or something. Now remember I have a 2000 Silverado Ext Cab and the water was deep enough where the rear 3rd doors carpet got a little soaked. I know should have gone in 4wd, I'm forgetful and perhaps even stupid.

Problems:

-Truck starts in park and neutral only ( like usual), but dosn't hold the idle and shuts off.

-Exhaust was in water for approx 3 mins before being pulled out. I smell fuel as the truck starts up from the exhaust pipes.

-I used a diagnostic tool and DTC code were reported: P0101, and P0335.

-Water is still kind of inside the truck but drained out. Used Wetvac to get most up from carpet.

Solutions:

- Take to dealer and have them check it out.

- If problem is almost simple enough to fix, I'd rather do it myself.

I'm looking forward to some replies and suggestions to any fix's there may be. Ask questions and I will respond the the best of my knowledge.

Fact:

'I've only had the truck since Friday.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: I knew I shouldn't of gone through that puddle!

Wow...quite the trip.

It could be a whole bunch of issues at this point.

Let's see if we can't knock them down one at a time.

A P0101 code is Mass Air Flow sensor indication and P0335 is a Crankshaft Position sensor problem.

The sensors might have fried because of the water......but before you go to the garage, I'd at least do the following;

Firstly, try to let the truck sit in a warm place to let the wiring dry up for a few days.
Alot of times the wiring gets shorted because of the waterand all it needs to do is dry out.
Wouldn't hurt touse a fan to speed up the process.

Meanwhile, you can do the following steps to eliminate other possible issues;

1) If it starts then I'm assuming it's still getting gas. Check your air filter to see if it ingested a whole bunch of water.
It might explain the P0101 error code.
If it did, leave it off and try to start the truck again.
If it runs OK then replace the filter and happy truckin'.

2)If it doesn't run then you'll have to start checking your ignition system.
Try and get a spark tester and test ALL of your leads. (wires from coils to spark plugs).
If there's spark on all of them, then your coils seem to be OK.
If there are any that don't spark, replace the lead with a good one and try it again.
If there's still no spark, there's a good chance the coil is fried.

3) If there's spark at all the leads then you need to check your plugs.
Again, try to use a spark tester to test them. They may be fowled or even cracked because of the water.

4) If all of the above checks out then maybe it's time to bring it in.

You might be at a point whereyou damaged the electronics.

I'm hoping other folks will jump in and add to the stuff you might need to check.

Best o' luck....
Old December 3rd, 2008, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

check if water got in thru the air filter housing area if you found mud in there the maf sensor probably got dirty.
Old December 8th, 2008, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 04 silverado 2500HD and i went through water that was deep and the pickup got stuck. I didnt know that the water was that deep either just like you. I got stuck and my dad came and pulled me out. It was stuck for about 30 minutes. I just knew that something was going to happen. The water was standing in the driver side and passenger side floor panels. The truck was pulled out and it still runs great. Sorry that you didnt have the same luck. My 04 is a cattle feeding truck and has been beat to hell and still drives great. The stock muffler fell off in the middle of the field. The transmission has been replaced because of the hard miles that it has. I think right now it has over 80,000 and I know thats not much but it runs great.