Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

idling problems tried everything

Old July 24th, 2011, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question idling problems tried everything

I have a 00 chevy silverado 5.3L, will only idle at 400 and with a/c on it drops farther. I have cleaned the throttle body, changed idle air control, throttle position, cleaned mass air flow, crank sensor, sprayed everywhere for vaccum leaks, fuel pump, fuel pressure reg, any other suggestions? My truck has 165,000 on it and has never given me any problems. I bought it with 20,000 and it has had maintance done on it like clock work. The truck will not throw a code, even though it has died numerous times. I am completely stumped? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old July 25th, 2011, 3:05 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not too familiar with your year.
Don't you have an idle adjustment screw?
Have you tried running seafoam through your vacuum pump?
By means of PCV valve line or other vacuum line?
Try puting a bottle of seafoam in at every fillup too
And also 100 - 200 miles before changing your oil
Put 1/2 a bottle in with your oil
Old July 25th, 2011, 2:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Try replacing the TPS. It's not very expensive and easy to get to. My truck had a lot of issues to include idling high and skipping 2nd gear... I suspected alot of other things, but swapped it and all those issues disappeared.
Old July 25th, 2011, 2:17 PM
CF Junior Member

1 thought i have is have you ever disconnected the battery for 30 sec.? comp may have a brain fart.
Old July 25th, 2011, 8:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

or bad pcm.
Old July 26th, 2011, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

To those that posted suggestions thank you, and to all the answers. I did change tps, disconnecting the battery does not work you need a obdII to clear any codes, and no codes are stored, I have done the sea foam trick, no help, and the one answer i didnt want to hear is the computer suggestion. Question: Is it possible that the a/c compressor is drawing to much? It idles low with out it on but when on it drops really low. The a/c works just fine never had a problem with, it blows cold , and no weird noises. Does the compressor pull power even when it is off?
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the idle air control and idle speed solenoid the same thing in this car? I dont think it is. I think the idle air control screws into the intake, right? There is an idle speed solenoid that screws into the side of the throttle body on the 5.7. Is this what you replaced?
Old July 29th, 2011, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

it only has an idle air control valve and there is no adjustment on it like the 5.7l the 5.3l are straight injection. and i have changed the idle air. keep the suggestions coming please because i am stuck.
Old July 29th, 2011, 2:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I realize you have changed the fuel pressure regulator, and those are about $50. That is still what it sounds like as I have identical 00 5.3, it was low idle, and was the regulator. I would suggest pull the hose off it after it idles for a minute or so, and shutoff, there shouldn't be any gas come out of it, if so the diaphram has a hole in it.
Old August 1st, 2011, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

i changed regulator already but i will disconnect and make there is no gas just incase i got a deffective part

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: idling problems tried everything