Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

im back with more trouble with my k 10 carb trouble.....

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2009, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im back with more trouble with my k 10 carb trouble.....

i got a 83 chevy k10 4x4 with a 350 basicly stock and it has a old quadra jet on it..........since i got it it has had a tendency to try to flood , in the begining u could only put it twice or it would flood, and now it always smells like gas and it loaded up a cple times on me recently, and has fouled my plugs toadya and it hasnt wanted to start lately, i got it fired up today eventually after pulling the plugs and letting it set in the sun all day and replaceing two of them,then once i got it started it didnt want to accelerate, u give it gas and it will back fire and try to choke out...........any ideas about this carb i think it might be too much carb to begin with...........thanks for any help
Old September 7th, 2009, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Is the Q-jet the stock unit, or off of another vehicle?? Also, what type/gap plugs are you running???
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't think the q-jet is too much carb, they had pretty small primaries, it is probably time to get it rebuilt, sounds like the needle and seat is stuck open, they are a wonderfull carburator when they work
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Default q-jet

sound's like the float is saturated with gas ,and the main and secondary jet well plug's are leaking .you got to get it dried up first float level set make sure the choke is set right .when set up right they are excellent carb's.
Old September 8th, 2009, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

yea, the plugs are the auto lite platinums with the 45 thousandths gap the air filter always smells like gas , and the card looks really dirty theres all kinds of stuff on the outside so theres no telling what the inside might have in it.......yea my uncle said alot of people dont like those carbs but there a good carb......