Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:03 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

instrument cluster problem

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2014, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 03 Chevy blazer problem

My instrument panel will flash as I am driving down the road at random time we can't figure out the problem please help ASAP
Old January 11th, 2015, 3:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by mgmag
I have the battery light stay on in the message board, odometer not working, gas gauge not working, temp. gauge not working, heater/ac blower not working. Replaced the ignition switch, new battery, new altenator, replaced cluster, replaced pcm. Checked and cleaned all grounds. Nothing solved the problem. It turned out to be the mega fuse under the hood for the ignition B.

Thank you so much I literally tore my truck up side down I replaced ignition switch wiper switch heater control module and to find out it was just a mega fuse
Old January 11th, 2015, 3:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a post about this as well, but my dash the gear indicator hasnt worked at all. and a few other items dont work as well, such as the left turn blinker doesnt work but it does blink outside. then there the main problem i am having. so far the speedometer will stop working and go below the 0mph mark and it will effect the tach as well. and so far i seen the gear indicator work but that when the tach and speedo stop working all together.

but so far the speedo not working has happen 5 times so far and the tach 3 times. and from what i have read and been told that the dash cluster is only covered for a few yrs. so if your like me and its 11 yrs old your SOL cause GM doesnt care if it just happens now..

anyways i have a ton of electrical problems with this truck since i got it in 2013 and i wish i would have kept my old truck now.. ill never buy a cheap built chevy ever again...
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Hello!
Have a 2004 Chevy Silvarado, duramax diesel...it's my husbands.
He's deployed and its here with me.
Since he bought it we've replaced the instrument cluster, it wasn't working when purchased. new cluster worked for a bit and then quit. He's replaced the motors and lights, switch on transmission(?) Pretty much everything you all have recommended.
So, now I'm driving this truck occasionally. I have no idea how much gas is in it have to use gps to check speed and count to shift to drive, reverse etc.
My mechanic said replace the cluster because he plugged his into my husbands truck and everything worked.
So my question to you guys is how to I make sure I buy the correct part?
I found one on eBay identical to the current one. says its interchangeable. I'd like to surprise my husband when he gets back, so any help is appreciated!
Mechanic is busy bro in law, so I'm kinda on my own as far as getting the part.
Thanks!
Old March 13th, 2015, 1:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a nice gesture for your hubby! Do you have a single sister? LOL!

These trucks are prone to instrument panel troubles. I have a 2004 (gasser) and the speedo, odometer, water temp & fuel gauges work perfectly. The tachometer, oil pressure and voltage gauges kind of have minds of their own.

I figure that I will live with it - unless the speedo, odo or fuel gauge give me problems.

Good luck!!
Old August 15th, 2016, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 Chevy 1500 Silverado Z71 4x4

I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 Silverado Z71 4x4 Shortbed that has the same symptoms that are described for the 2003 models and above. Will the repair the 6x GM GMC Stepper Motor X27.168 Speedometer Cluster Repair Kits work in my 2001?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Fred Allen Burge
Hey guys, sounds like there's several problem being brought up here, I'll try to help best I can.

On the 99-02 trucks the odometer/PRND123 display will go out intermittently and come back on if you hit a bump or bang on it with your hand - this is caused by a poor solder connection where the plug is soldered to the circuit board and it can be repaired. See here for a guide on how to do it - Silverado odometer problems

The fuel gauge problem on that generation of truck us normally caused by a bad fuel sending unit on the fuel pump assembly in the tank, requires replacement.

On the 03-06 trucks the gauge problems are typically caused by bad gauge motors which can also be fixed, here's some info on how to fix them yourself - Silverado instrument cluster problems

That generation of truck also has fuel sending unit failure a lot which will cause the fuel gauge to read wrong, requires replacement.

The 03-06 trucks have another issue where the entire instrument cluster will quit all at once and sometimes come back on/off/on, chimes ringing, lights flashing,etc. This can be caused by a faulty ignition switch, requires switch replacement.

And finally, on the 03-06 trucks if you notice the 4 gauges on the right quit suddenly all at once along with lights coming/staying on it's a failing IC chip on the circuit board - cluster replacement required.

Hope that sheds some light and can help some of ya.

Fred
www.DrSpeedometer.com

Oh ya, one more I see a lot - if your oil pressure gauge is bouncing from 0psi to 80psi don't panic, it's not your motor or your gauge whacking out. It's a poor electrical connection around the oil pressure sensor/switch causing it to read full pressure then 0 pressure.
Old August 17th, 2016, 7:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kfreeman
Hello!
Have a 2004 Chevy Silvarado, duramax diesel...it's my husbands.
He's deployed and its here with me.
Since he bought it we've replaced the instrument cluster, it wasn't working when purchased. new cluster worked for a bit and then quit. He's replaced the motors and lights, switch on transmission(?) Pretty much everything you all have recommended.
So, now I'm driving this truck occasionally. I have no idea how much gas is in it have to use gps to check speed and count to shift to drive, reverse etc.
My mechanic said replace the cluster because he plugged his into my husbands truck and everything worked.
So my question to you guys is how to I make sure I buy the correct part?
I found one on eBay identical to the current one. says its interchangeable. I'd like to surprise my husband when he gets back, so any help is appreciated!
Mechanic is busy bro in law, so I'm kinda on my own as far as getting the part.
Thanks!
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here! We are vendors on the site and have doing these repairs a long time. Give us a call at 262-456-4147 and we can talk with you about locating a replacement cluster and programming the correct miles to it for you. We also offer a military discount, so make sure to mention that and that you talked with us on this forum. Our reps will take good care of you, and we have a fast turn around as well.

We look forward to helping you out on this and can answer any questions that you might have.

Thanks,
Old October 4th, 2016, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default 01 silverado intrument cluster INOP

I have an 01 Silverado 1500, 5.3 Auto. About a year ago, I hit a HUGE pothole and the gauges all went crazy. Every time I hit a bump they went crazy. If I was sitting still, they were fine. Then all of a sudden one day they went crazy and never came on again. I have replaced the Instrument cluster, keylock cylinder and the ignition switch. I am about the give up. Help!
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dn172
I'm kind of interested in any feedback on this topic. My instrument cluster started having intermittent problems, then finally quit working all together. In trying to track down the problem, I noticed that I had a poor battery ground and tightening the connection seemed to make a difference.

Out of curiosity, does your panel go through the normal key-on sequence with indications for things like air bags and emergency brake and so on? Mine used to do that, but doesn't any more. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm reasonably sure it's not a good sign.

Thanks!
So, I found a red wire with a white stripe that runs from the cluster to the fuse box under the driver's seat. Overtime, the heels of feet pressing the brake pedal caused particles of debris to chaff this wire until it broke in two. I spliced in some wire to repair and the cluster came back to life. Stupid place to run all the wires if you ask me. Wrapped the harness well, after vacuuming, and padded it too. Hope this helps others.

Last edited by ramalott; January 11th, 2017 at 11:45 PM. Reason: misspell
Old March 1st, 2017, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this an old forum but I had the same problem with my 03 Silverado and my issue was the harness that plugs into the cluster was worn at the pin inserts the wires just wiggles around in there replaced that and BAM got my gauges back up and running no issues since !! Hope this helps man
The following users liked this post:
tim8722 (December 19th, 2022)

Quick Reply: instrument cluster problem