Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Intermittent Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2014, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Fuel Pump

I have a 1990 C-1500 w/ 350. this is one of those things that you don't listen for until you have to listen for it. My fuel pump has a very intermittent cycle when i key on. lets say i cycle the key 10 times in a row, the pump may cycle twice. is there a built in pressure regulator of some sort or do i have a weak fuel pump? it wouldn't start this morning, so this afternoon i introduced it to carb spray. needless to stay, i had air, i had fire, i just needed the fuel. once i introduced carb spray into the tbi unit, it started. i ran it around the block and it ran good. i then shut if off and tried to restart it and it had a very hard start and the fuel pump continues to be intermittent. so, back to my original question, should my fuel pump cycle every time i key on? Thank you in advance.
Old February 4th, 2014, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

No, it should not be cycling every time you turn the key. I have a 1995 c1500 with a 350 tbi engine. My fuel pump usually only cycles after the truck has sat for an extended period of time (a half hour or more) or if I turn the key again immediately after shutting the truck off. I would have it looked at to see if you need a new fuel pump.
Old February 5th, 2014, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default weak

Thank you for your response.

the fuel pump seems to be weak. I removed the inline fuel filter (to replace anyway) and cycled the fuel pump and it pumped a good amount of fuel. I'm going to get an adapter to fit my fuel pressure gauge and see if I'm getting correct pressure. Since replace the fuel filter, it seems to be starting better. But Still starting correctly. I think there might have been a partial block in the fuel filter, which wasn't helping at all.