Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Intermittent Grinding sound at any speed

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2014, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Grinding sound at any speed

Hello guys i'm new to this forum as well as new to truck repairs. My current truck is a 2001 Silverado lt 1500 extended cab with 4wd. We bought the truck a year ago as a cheap work horse and snow machine. We now love the truck and are going to invest in getting her in better condition. The first problem is this intermittent grinding/vibration from the rear axle, it happens at any speed and is very loud. It started happening after a good 750 mile commute to pick up some goods from a different state. The cargo wasnt too heavy just a engine hoist, engine stand, and a drill press. The vibration/grinding comes on at any speed and goes away after hitting bumps or sometimes just goes away for no reason at all there is no way to predict when it will come or go. After a little investigating I narrowed it down to the left rear wheel. I pulled the left axle shaft out and found a MANGLED axle end seal. I looked in and saw the bearing but It appeared to be ok. The wheel has visual play when driving but no play in the wheel when jacked up with my hands at 12 and 6 or 3 and 9. The axle shaft has some grooves in it that I can feel with my bare hands but they are very little. Do these grooves (as seen in the picture) make the shaft unusable? I'm new to rear wheel drive axles and am not sure if these little grooves total the axle. I also took a snapshot of the bearings they seem to function fine and I packed them with grease and they rolled with no problem or resistance. My ultimate question is "could this shaft be causing the vibration/grinding sounds?"
Thanks,
Kevin.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone? bump
Old February 3rd, 2014, 6:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheel bearing? Universal joint?

Just two things that come to mind.