Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Intermittent no crank, long post 3 winters now

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2008, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent no crank, long post 3 winters now

I have a 2003 Chevy silverado 2500HD 6 litre with 8000 miles only used mostly in winter for plowing a few driveways, at approx 5000 miles in Feb. the 3rd winter of owning the truck had occasional no crank then it would start, mechanic changed starter on a whim without troubleshooting. Worked for the rest of the winter. During Dec. of the 4th winter same thing, battery had one or more bad cells. Little green light on maintinance free battery would go from green to black when moved. New 74 month battery installed (known good) The rest of the winter I had same problem, turn the key to on the gauges would move and idiot lights would light turn key to start and a light click and the gauges would shut down (move left) and idiot lights black out, no crank. I cleaned battery terminals and connections and used dielectric grease on all positive and negative grounds and terminals, checked wiring and connections, make sure all are tight. I could get the truck to eventually start by keep turning the key multiple times or come back in 5 minutes and starts. This winter the 5th year (December) turn the key and gauges move and idiot lights light and click no start, turn key click,click. Truck had dual batteries with an isolator between them , I took to a dealer who wired both batteries in parallel (1 new Napa radial battery). Truck sat 2 days with a trickle charger on both batteries. This morning tried starting, click,click,click, but this time idiot lights stayed lit, but fail to turn over.Go out 5 minutes later truck starts. Ignition switch was never removed. Only exhibits this problem in the winter. Any help would be appreciated.
Old December 27th, 2008, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Intermittent no crank, long post 3 winters now

sounds like maybe something is wrong with the colum in your truck (linkage) like it is just not making the connection not sure if there is anyway to adjust it or maybe a electrical plug on the colum is loose this is something you'll have to troubleshoot to find it. sorry!