Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

irregular brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2011, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default irregular brake light issue

I have a 1997 sienna K3500 crew cab dually 4x4, and to explain the issue as simple as I can here it is: if the keys are not in the ignition the brake lights work fine, with the keys in the ignition and turned to key on engine off (the one after accessory) with the ebrake pushed down the lights work fine. But with the engine running regardless of the ebrake the brake lights stay on. So while I'm driving around my brake lights are stuck on and that only happens when the engine is running. Any ideas?
Old July 8th, 2011, 9:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I read this twice and still couldn't tell. By "brake lights," are you referring to the Brake System Warning indicator in the instrument cluster?
Old July 8th, 2011, 9:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Check all fuses and for mouse chews on wires inside fuse boxes
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
CF Active Member

You may just need to replace the brake light switch. Or it could be a short in the steering wheel turn signal switch. Do your turn signals work okay? The brake lights are routed through the turn signal switch also. The reason is that the turn signal takes precedence over the brake light when you're making a turn.
Old July 10th, 2011, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

By brake lights I am referring to the tail lights , turn signals work buy hazards will just stay in if i press the switch. All fuses are intact and functional.
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM
CF Active Member

Your brake lights and turn signals use the same element of a double filament bulb. The hazards are on a completely different circuit. Do the hazards function properly? As stated before, your brake lights are routed through the turn signal switch. Do your turn signals work properly too? If so, your problem is most likely the brake light switch on the brake pedal.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

If I press the hazard switch the turn signal indicators on the dash will light up and stay on. But other than that the turn signals work normally and blink when I use them when signaling.