Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

K&N or volant/ gas milage

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2012, 10:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N or volant/ gas milage

i drive a 2002 silverado 2500hd with the 6.0 vortec. it loves to eat gas and im looking to improve the gas milage. i dont beat on the peddle and try to cost and stay in the speed limit, i also try not to come to a complete stop at lights and kind of roll until it turns green. i like to 4 wheel the truck ever now and then (not very often no that gas has gone up). im afraid a cold air intake wont allow me to 4wheel anymore. i hear the volant has a box or something that covers it from water? any body have any info on the volant/ K&N air intakes or anything else that might help my mpg go up please share your info. thanks
Old February 14th, 2012, 9:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy a cheap intake off eBay and use only the tube with stock box an drop in filter...its the same thing as the 300 dollar box Volant has, I used to have it and then did the setup I just said, an felt a way bigger difference in power with the stock box and cold air tube
Old February 14th, 2012, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

I have the Volant on my 2012 silverado and absolutly love it. I've done the ebay intake tubes before and i wouldnt think of doing something like that with my new truck. The Volant kit/box replaces the factory box, looks wonderful and gives it an awesome growl on acceleration. I cant comment on HP gains, but im a fan.
Old February 14th, 2012, 6:04 PM
CF Active Member

im kinda worried about getting a cold air intake with my 4wheeling, is the volant a good choice?
Old February 14th, 2012, 6:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it's better than an open filter, but there's still a big hole in the bottom of the box. If you do like I said and use just the filter on a cheap intake to keep the stock box, the only hole is on the side by the fender so you don't risk suckin air up. If you do that it's the exact same thing as a cold air intake.
Old February 14th, 2012, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

your turck has a true cold air intake on it the problem comes in is the tube has baffles in it to keep the noise down this limits flow and country09 helped me with the same thing heres what you do buy a cheap intake off of ebay 60$ then buy a spectre air filter(same as k&n) 27$ then drop in the filter scrap your old tube and put the one from the kit on and get rid of the the oppen filter it is not needed also if you woundering the intake tube will attach to your stock air box then you have a true high flow cold air intake for only 87$ compaired to a 300$ volant kit cant go wrong
also i noticed you have a 6.0 this will not not change gas milage if it does its only going to be around .2 mpg increase if that the good thing with this is the engine breaths better and sounds better you also have fatser throttle reponse
the best thing to do to increase you mpg is this(also might get more power)
1.air intake mod as ive said
2.free flowing exhaust
4.eletric fan conversion
3.black bear tune to get it all right

if you have stock rims and tires and drive normal you will see a 2-3 possible 4 mpg increase over stock which is great these trucks arent ment for gass milage but for power and they have it my 6.0 gets 11mpg city 13-14 hwy
hope this helps