Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

K1500 missing vacuum line?

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2008, 6:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K1500 missing vacuum line?

I'm hoping someone can tell me if I have a missing vacuum line on my 5.0, 1996. On the passenger side of the engine there is a vacuum switch that appears to be missing the operating port tubing.It looks like this switch lets the gas vapors from the cannister go into the engine. The port in question has a rubber elbow on it but no plastic tubing is inserted into the elbow. When I apply suction to this port it feels likeI'm pulling against a diaphram. The other 2 ports are hooked up. There is also no emissions label on the radiator support. Any help would be appreciated.
Old February 11th, 2008, 9:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: K1500 missing vacuum line?

yeah, i would assume there should be something there, but i have no clue what. vacuum lines are the devil, so idenounce them in Jesusname, as the Bible teaches.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Is your truckrunningbad, or did you just notice itone day?
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

I was looking into an elusivestalling problem when I noticed the missing? tubing. I was checking on the fuel pressure, which drops to about 55 to 56 lbs after start-up. I know the pressure regulator is vacuum sensitiveandstarted checking for a leak.
Old February 11th, 2008, 2:52 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is not missing vacuum, hose, this is the way the switch is designed, this port will sometimes have a small square piece of foam over it to filter atmospheric O2 it draws in but the foam can deteriorate over time and fall off.BTW your fuel pressures are within spec's as well.
Old March 25th, 2008, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

That stalling problem is still with me at times. It happens almost every morning, when I first leave for work. Truck starts just fine and will idle as long as I want. The trouble starts when I Put it in gear, forward or reverse.

The truck moves just fine for about 2 seconds then it stalls. Once it does this it is harder to start the second time, and can idle really rough for a few seconds. It may stall a couple of times like thisthen will run good all the way to work.

Same thing happens when I leave work at end of the day. The truck is a '96 K1500 with a 305 engine and automatic trans and has about 85,000 miles on it. It has a new fuel filter and air filter. The fuel pump has been changed twice in the last 4 months. Think I'll pick up a vacuum gauge tomorrow but would also appreciate any suggestions.

Old September 26th, 2017, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

I also have a 1996 k1500. Remain motor with only about 4000 miles. Rebuilt transmission with maybe 50 miles. New distributor, cap, rotor, can sensor, crank sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter. E.G.R. checks out fine. All plugs and wires firing. It will start and idle fine. Will run fine until you hit about 30 the first time then it boys down and starts missing. You can give it "real good" throttle and it'll down shift and line out until you ease off the throttle then it starts it again. Any ideas?