Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Kinda Bogs after 4000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2009, 11:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda Bogs after 4000 rpm

So, I kinda just jumped into this forum without asking a question first...who does that anymore? I guess now will be a good time to ask a question since I have a few posts under my belt and I won't feel like a freeloader. This is a question I had in Truckforums and I was just wanting to know if anyone thinks differently than they and I think.

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 1998 Chevrolet pickup, 5.0, extended cab. When I bought it, the fuel pressure regulator was messed up and I have replaced it. That fixed a problem it had with starting when hot. Now, weeks later, I have noticed I can't get the truck to accelerate over 4000 rpm when I step on it (like when I'm passing someone). I thought it might be the catalytic converter being clogged but after removing it, the problem was still there. At 4000 rpm it seems like it's either misfiring or like there's a rev limiter. When I bought the truck, the gas gauge was also a little erratic (moving like a hummingbird) but still showed how much gas I had. It ran all the way to 5000+rpm like it should, and this problem began before I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. Also the SES light did not come on when I removed the catalytic converter. I don't know if that has anything to do with my problem but I figured I'd mention it anyway. Thanks for all the help.

So I've also noticed after that post was finished that the problem occurs when it is hot outside or after the truck has run for a few minutes. I'm not going to tell you what everyone on the other forum and I think it is. The gas gauge ended up not showing the correct amount since I'm supposed to have a 34 gallon tank and it hits empty on the gauge but only takes 18 gallons to fill up.

So I checked my fuel pressure. If I just turn the key on, it goes to around 56 or 58 psi. Then While idling, it is about 52 or so. When I step on the gas, it drops to about 45 then jumps to 60. At 4000 rpm, it is hanging at around 45 maybe a little lower. I noticed the fuel pressure didn't increase when I got to 4000 rpm like it does at lower rpm. The pressure and rpms didn't move after 4000 rpm.

So what yall think bout this?

Last edited by 98white5.0; March 29th, 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:23 AM
CF Beginner

It should stay a constant pressure at all times when you bring the RPMs up, if its anything like what I'm familiar with. it should be 60lbs all the way up to the rev limiter, iirc. If your pressure is dropping under heavy load, I'd say the fuel pump is going.

Had a suburban that came into work that did this very thing your describing, and replacing the fuel pump fixed it.

You could always try the fuel filter first... just for kicks. They're cheap so its not like your wasting a fortune for nothing.
Old March 30th, 2009, 1:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Here I come with my drum. What's the engine -to-ground strap like? How's the negative cable? Two other inexpensive fixes which will enhance performance considerably.
Old March 30th, 2009, 6:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like fuel pump, fuel filter or on my 95 i had a similar problem and it was a clogged fuel line!! try that
Old March 30th, 2009, 7:25 PM
CF Active Member

I tried the fuel filter before and no help. Where would the engine-to-ground strap be? The negative cable that is connected to the battery has zero corrosion and seems fine. I've been wondering about the fuel pump. But someone said it could be a crank sensor. Idk. I'm not all-knowing on the sensors thing. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump as did the guys at the other forum. It's really good to hear Twizzler09 say he's encountered the exact problem. So, if everyone agrees on the fuel pump thing, here's my next question: Should I replace it myself? I've done plenty of motor and transmission replacements but hear the fuel pump is a pain. A friend of a friend says his shop will replace it for $125 if I bring a pump in. They said something about the fuel pump costing $500 if I get the AC Delco pump from them. On the internet I can get it for $325 on rockauto and $260 at gmpartsdirect. But if I bring one in, the shop will not warranty the work. If I get one through them, they will warranty the work. So basically if I get it from them, they will charge the price of the pump plus the $125 but if it goes out within the next six months, they will replace it at no charge. If I bring one in, they will charge $125 and if they put it in and it doesn't crank right where it is, then I'm SOL. What do yall think? They do pretty much any auto work and no one has ever had a problem with them. $125 sounds good if it's too much of a pain to do myself.
Old March 30th, 2009, 7:40 PM
Super Moderator

hey i found one on ebay for your truck for 70 bucks new with a lifetime warranty thats where i buy all expensive parts!!! and i would do it yourself its easy just have to drop your tank as it is in the tank. a;so the engine ground straps there should be two or so on the sid of your block that bolts to the frame!! it could be your crank sensor but it would throw a code. i would not have the pump put in for 125 it is a rip **** if you were around my area i would put it in for twenty its easy!! and a fuel pump wont and should not cost that much money let me know if youy need any more help i know a lot about 90s style chevys!!
Old March 30th, 2009, 7:45 PM
CF Active Member

Is is an AC Delco on ebay? I've always heard that I shouldn't get anything but AC Delco for the vortecs. What do yall think? My dad replaced the fuel pump on our 91. So I figured if he could, then I prolly could or at least I could get him to help out anyway. I've also heard of people saying to lift the bed off but since I could probably only get the help of my dad and no one else, I don't think that is going to be possible. Is there any special tool needed to get the pump out?
Old March 30th, 2009, 7:52 PM
Super Moderator

there shouldnt be a tool needed if there is autozone has a free loan a tool service i use all the time. and why should you lift the bed up when you can just drop the tank with a few bolts and yes there were a couple of ac delcos on there for 96$ with a liftime warranty take a look!! any other questions while im on?

Last edited by suzuki-guy; March 30th, 2009 at 7:56 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 7:58 PM
CF Active Member

Yea, what all do you need to unhook to drop the tank? Fuel lines? How do they come off? Same as on the spider?
Old March 30th, 2009, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator

there is just a nut that holds the lines on same as on the spider and the tank has two straps on it that you just unbolt and it drops down it should be know problem do you have a hanes manual? if you dont go get one at autozone its a good investment did you look on ebay? i found on on there for 965 bucks an acdelco with a lifetime warranty just type in 98 k1500 fuel pump and a few of them come up take your pick ive bought a lot of car parts from ebay no problems just make sure they have a 100% feed back rate or at least 98% anything else?

Quick Reply: Kinda Bogs after 4000 rpm