Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaking drain plug

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking drain plug

Is it possible for a tight oil drain plug + copper washer to leak? Somehow I don't see how it can happen, but what do I know.
Make things better, I found sipping from the front of the oil pan gasket. when I was cleaning the area with cleaner, to see where it's coming from - cleaner drooped down the oil pan - AND STARTED DRIPPING FROM THE TIP OF THE DRAIN PLUG.
this is why I'm curious - can a drain plug drip? no damage on pan whatsoever, drain plug was never stripped or something. threads appear to be fine.
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

If you are are seeing leaks from the pan gasket I would say replace it. If it is only the drain plug and all the threads look good (inside the pan and on the bolt) those copper washers should be cheap and teflon tape may help out as well.
Old April 27th, 2009, 2:22 AM
CF Senior Member

i drain trucks and cars all the time. its mah job. and yes a copper gasket with a plug can leak. tkae fords for example. after 3 turns of the plug, it starts to drip like a siv and let me tell ya hot oil dont feel good on biceps. and so yes. they can leak. the threads and plug can be fine but if its just a wee loose it will leak a bit. it happens. just put another gasket on or so. and tighten it a little more then be fine.
Old April 27th, 2009, 2:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Assuming your oil isn't migrating from the front seal to the oil plug, that is...
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:09 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
Assuming your oil isn't migrating from the front seal to the oil plug, that is...

that's what it pretty darn looked like. all the cleaner went down the pan - and boom-shaka - laka - right off the drain plug. i have never seen tight plug with copper washer leak, never. fords, japs, chrysler, any car we owned and own - never. of course, GM is "like a rock", so who knows.....
next time i change oil, i'll put some teflon tape on threads, he-he. i wonna see THAT leak..

well, i did some things yesterday to stop this leak from the front..... but good news, it is not main seal. perfectly dry underneath it 100 miles after cleaning.
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHAT ALL DID YOU DO? MINES LEAKING TO LOOKS LIKE ITS COMING FROM DRAIN PLUG AND FRONT OF OIL PAN. i THINK ITS MY OIL PAN GASKET ALSO ITS ON MY TRANSMISSION IM HOPING IT NOT MY REAR MAIN SEAL!! ILL REPLACE THE OIL PAN GASKET SINCE ITS CHEAPER. IM HOPING ITS THAT IT MY JUST BE BLOWING ON MY TRANSMISSION BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT ON MY OIL PAN TO SO I WOULD THINK THAT INDICATES MY OIL PAN GASKET
Old April 28th, 2009, 8:34 PM
CF Senior Member

well, the way it is, oil pan is slanted down towards the drain plug, for obvious reason.
plus, when you drive, wind blows oil back on it.

what i was saying was that when i was cleaning the front of the oil pan and underneath the main pulley, to see if it's main seal leaking, dirt, mixed with cleaner, simply followed the oil pan declination, and a lot of it dripped down from the plug. that made me think that drain plug is not, actually, leaking, but oil simply drools back off it because of that decline in oil pan.

what i did was to jackstand the front, get wide tray under the engine, and clean front of the gasket and engine block with carb cleaner, as it cleans well and evaporates fast. so, one can of cleaner later, and few used to be white rags, it was all nice and dry.

then, i put a ton of red silicone all over the gasket, anywhere i could reach. also, sealed everything around the drain plug. took belly pan off and cleaned it, as it collected some oil on it. engine degreaser worked well on this.

that was done sunday morning. let truck sit on stands for about an hour, for sealant to catch and harden. make sure areas where you apply sealant to are perfectly clean and have no oil on them, or it won't stick.

on mine, there's a wand of wires in plastic guide, wrapping around the front of the oil pan. if yours has same, you might want to clear them first, that should give you much better access to the gasket.

so far, 200 miles down the road - and i checked half an hour ago - it's all good.
Old April 29th, 2009, 4:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

"Like A Rock"?

Don't get me wrong,I love my Silverado like a brother, but I've seen some "rocks" that were real ball busters.
Old April 29th, 2009, 4:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol yeah me too i mean who hasnt?
Old April 29th, 2009, 4:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
WHAT ALL DID YOU DO? MINES LEAKING TO LOOKS LIKE ITS COMING FROM DRAIN PLUG AND FRONT OF OIL PAN. i THINK ITS MY OIL PAN GASKET ALSO ITS ON MY TRANSMISSION IM HOPING IT NOT MY REAR MAIN SEAL!! ILL REPLACE THE OIL PAN GASKET SINCE ITS CHEAPER. IM HOPING ITS THAT IT MY JUST BE BLOWING ON MY TRANSMISSION BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT ON MY OIL PAN TO SO I WOULD THINK THAT INDICATES MY OIL PAN GASKET
Geez man. You gotta remember to disable the Caps.

Quick Reply: Leaking drain plug