Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Leaking Oil & Blown Head Gasket

Old December 27th, 2010, 1:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking Oil & Blown Head Gasket

Double Whammy today guys looking for some input.

I bought my truck from a mom-pop dealership 11/05/10 and got a smokin deal on it. Its a 2005 Silverado 4x4 EXT Cab LS model. Almost immediately
I went and got some fluids changed on it (Oil and Transmission). It had a cracked radiator so I had that replaced so it obviously got a coolant replacement to.

So over the past few weeks its been leaking oil and this past weekend I got under it to see what the deal was. I couldn't really make heads or tails of anything as im not a mechanic so I took it back to the Oil Changer 3000 place or whatever I took it to before and they checked it out. Seems, they say, that its leaking from the oil pan. Suggesting its the oil pan gasket. They said they checked the plug and filter and that it was tight still. They checked my level and I was down 1/2 quart. They refilled me up & also showed me what they called "Milkyness" on the oil filler cap inside and on the dipstick.

They are suggesting this could be a blown head gasket? I thought having a blown head gasket meant you'd see some symptoms with the vehicle? Overheating or loss of power or something? Im not noticing anything. Infact I just took it on a 400 mile trip to Reno. Is there anything else it could be? These guys don't do head gaskets or oil gaskets so they aren't trying to sell me something. Ya know..... Thoughts?

Ive put about 2500 miles on the truck so far any no noticable driving issue's. Seems to have power and respond fine.
Old December 27th, 2010, 5:22 PM
CF Pro Member

the intake manifold gasket could be the culprit, but doing the intake gasket is 75% of what it takes to do the head gaskets so it wouldnt be worth guessing, although if it is the intake gasket, you will be able to tell.
Old December 27th, 2010, 5:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does your coolant level look?
Old December 27th, 2010, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

I would contact the sellers for support and guidance, why not you?
Old December 27th, 2010, 11:15 PM
CF Junior Member

The coolant level looks okay. Like I said im not a mechanic but the radiator was just replaced by certified mechanics. So that should be okay?

So the manifold gasket could be the reason for the milky stuff or for the oil leak?

I contacted the dealership for support on the radiator and the only thing they suggested was that they could get me a second hand radiator for cheap. Like I said its a mom and pop shop. So they are hurting too I think.... Im not sure they knew about any of the problems. Or maybe they did.... I didn't have a mechanic look at it before I bought it, stupid I know. But I did do a carfax and speak to the previous owner and both came up clean. Records of maintenance done and everything appears good.... only 1 previous owner.
Old December 27th, 2010, 11:44 PM
CF Junior Member

The milky stuff could be from condensation build-up, usually caused by short frequent drives. Check the oil right after you drive it and it should be obvious is your oil is milky or just from condensation. Does it blow white smoke out of the tail pipes? Any oil in your coolant? I guess the crack in the radiator could have caused it to overheat if it lost too much coolant and that could blow the head gasket or crack/warp the head..
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Yeah I was thinking that, however it never overheated at all when the radiator was cracked, it was a very small hairline fracture. It probably could have been driven till it worsened but I wanted everything 100% so I replaced it as I have an uncle at a local GM dealership who can get me parts at his price and it was cheap. But this other stuff now is really beginning to bug me. I do indeed do alot of short around town trips and only do highway on the weekends.
Old December 28th, 2010, 6:53 AM
CF Active Member

You don't typically see the condensation milkyness on the dipstick, do ya? I usually see it on the cap.
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
CF Pro Member

i have seen it on my dipstick.....and it was very aparent 3 weeks later that my head gasket was blown
clean the moisture off the oil cap, take it for a long drive and see if it comes back
mechanics can also pressurize the cooling system and see if the pressure bleeds off
Old December 28th, 2010, 2:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Whats a head gasket replacement going to cost on an 05' Silverado.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking Oil & Blown Head Gasket