Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Left Rear Door Ajar

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2013, 3:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The cure!

This was in another forum thread I was directed to by Google search. The persons name was Chuck and this was his final message: Wanted to let everyone know,I brought the Hoe to the dealer.They kept it for two days and told me there was nothing wrong with it.Thirty minutes after bringing it home,the alarm was going off again.once I shut off the alarm and started the the engine the info center kept reading that the rear access was open.The following morning I brought it back to the dealer and showed them.A service tech came out andmade sure the rear door was closed all the way.When he looked inside and saw that it still read that the door was open he said,"It needs a new B.C.M.". I'm guessing this is a common problem,seems like he had dealt with it before.Sure enough they changed the body control module and the problem is gone. Too bad it cost $620.00. Anyway,thanks for the suggestions........ <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old July 2nd, 2014, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. However I too am having an issue with the rear passenger door on my 2003 Suburban sporadically throwing an ajar message on the dash. This obviously screws up the dome lights, if the vehicle is locked, it can sporadically make the alarm go off (because its thinking the door has been opened without a key or disarm), sometimes it senses the door is ajar sometimes it doesn't, hell even at times it'll lock/unlock the doors while driving. All these issues I've experienced first hand.

So after a lot of searching on the Internet I found this thread and wanted to update anyone who may also stumble upon it in the future. As mentioned previously there isn't a simple pop up type button in the jam of these vehicles. It does appear the Body Control Module can be at fault here. however you do not need to spend several hundreds of dollars for the dealer to replace this item.

I believe this is relevant for 2001 to 2005 Chevy / GM (Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado)

You can get a new BCM from rockauto.com (I am not affiliated with them) or many other online parts suppliers - its about $160. You do NOT need a dealer to "program" the BCM. The BCM's job is to learn the passkey (anti theft / security) function from the ignition. Regardless if the the BCM is new or used from a yard it can be re-learned yourself by following this procedure.

Replace BCM, connect battery and ensure its fully charged. Keep doors closed / do not open during this process.

1) Turn ignition to run position - then to crank BRIEFLY (do not start engine) then back to run position.

2) Observe security light on dash - after 10 minutes it should turn off.

Repeat this process after successfully completing 3 consecutive cycles of ignition switch, vehicle will learn the new component on the next ignition cycle, which is from OFF to CRANK then to RUN position. Engine should now start.

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s) for the BCM: 15116066, 15136225, 15136877, 15137393, 15137394, 15137395, 15137396, 15198116, 15257043, 15257044, 15257045, 15257046
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much Master Blaster for your follow up to the BCM issue.
I suspected it was the BCM-you have confirmed it for me.
I will proceed with your suggested steps.
Sunset Chevy
Old July 4th, 2014, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

If you need further visual aid this is one helpful video I found in my research - again I'm not affiliated whatsoever with this person / company.

Just wanted to add I've read a few people resolved their issues just by following the reset / learn feature without replacing the BCM. I guess you have nothing to lose to try and reset it first prior to buying a module.

Also interesting enough there was a BCM recall on '03 Suburban's - the dealer was instructed to "update the BCM" which honestly I feel was probably this reset procedure. I was having the exact same issue - battery dying over night. I believe it's due to a combination of BCM issues like the door ajar issue. If the BCM thinks the doors are open your dome lights are going to come on and drain the battery. On my Suburban there is a button near the headlight switch that over rides the domes and forces them off (even if the doors are open). Once I started doing this my battery drain issue stopped.

Details on the recall below.

2003 Battery Drain Recall for certain models - 1999-2006 & 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra 1500 - GM-Trucks.com

Last edited by MasterBlaster; July 4th, 2014 at 1:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Will3Man (August 22nd, 2021)
Old April 9th, 2016, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
I realize I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. However I too am having an issue with the rear passenger door on my 2003 Suburban sporadically throwing an ajar message on the dash. This obviously screws up the dome lights, if the vehicle is locked, it can sporadically make the alarm go off (because its thinking the door has been opened without a key or disarm), sometimes it senses the door is ajar sometimes it doesn't, hell even at times it'll lock/unlock the doors while driving. All these issues I've experienced first hand.

So after a lot of searching on the Internet I found this thread and wanted to update anyone who may also stumble upon it in the future. As mentioned previously there isn't a simple pop up type button in the jam of these vehicles. It does appear the Body Control Module can be at fault here. however you do not need to spend several hundreds of dollars for the dealer to replace this item.

I believe this is relevant for 2001 to 2005 Chevy / GM (Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado)

You can get a new BCM from rockauto.com (I am not affiliated with them) or many other online parts suppliers - its about $160. You do NOT need a dealer to "program" the BCM. The BCM's job is to learn the passkey (anti theft / security) function from the ignition. Regardless if the the BCM is new or used from a yard it can be re-learned yourself by following this procedure.

Replace BCM, connect battery and ensure its fully charged. Keep doors closed / do not open during this process.

1) Turn ignition to run position - then to crank BRIEFLY (do not start engine) then back to run position.

2) Observe security light on dash - after 10 minutes it should turn off.

Repeat this process after successfully completing 3 consecutive cycles of ignition switch, vehicle will learn the new component on the next ignition cycle, which is from OFF to CRANK then to RUN position. Engine should now start.

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s) for the BCM: 15116066, 15136225, 15136877, 15137393, 15137394, 15137395, 15137396, 15198116, 15257043, 15257044, 15257045, 15257046
Hey guys! I am new to the forum. I know that I am brining this back from the dead yet again, and this is also my first post. I am having the same issue, (along with MANY others that I will mention here and try to navigate around and post in the correct area of the forum), but my situation is a little unique...it wasn't a random problem, I had an illegal immigrant hit me head on while we were doing a cross yield left turn at a red light (low speed head on collision), he went to turn left and then swerved back and decided to go straight (it was a 4 lane road; 5 including the turn lane) he hit me a little more on the driver-side. Anyway shortly after, I started getting the "Left Rear Door Ajar" message, started out going on and off every few days, then it stayed off for about a month, and then came back on and has been on ever since. The wreck was in early October, and I am just now this next Tuesday (April 12th) being able to have my core support pulled back to factory specs (it is a new core support and transmission cooler) but it pushed the old one back and bent my pinch welds so when I put the new one in it was out of place.

Anyway, I was told that my sensor could have been jarred or knocked around during the wreck and that just pulling the core support back into place COULD POSSIBLY fix it. If not I was wondering what steps I should take next, now mine doesn't have the one in the door jam, I would have to remove my door panel, but I'm not really familiar with this specific part/issue so I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. However, I do work at Custom Trucks Unlimited so I'm sure someone will know. I was also curious about the steps I need to follow to try and reset the BCM.

Oh...other problems:
-Starter is going out
-have to rebuild the rear differential because of broken teeth
-because of the rear diff problem, my axle is spinning untrue and causing my rotor to always be in contact with the pad, making it squeak and wear unevenly

By the way, does ANYONE know where I can find a nice aftermarket rear diff cover for my 2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L gas burner? I can find unlimited covers for my truck with the 8.1 gas or the 6.6 duramax but no luck anywhere for one with the 6.0l gas.

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated,
Thank you all very much,
Clint
Old April 29th, 2016, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
If you need further visual aid this is one helpful video I found in my research - again I'm not affiliated whatsoever with this person / company.

How to Program ANTI THEFT or Security on GM cars Hummer, CHEVY program key - YouTube

Just wanted to add I've read a few people resolved their issues just by following the reset / learn feature without replacing the BCM. I guess you have nothing to lose to try and reset it first prior to buying a module.

Also interesting enough there was a BCM recall on '03 Suburban's - the dealer was instructed to "update the BCM" which honestly I feel was probably this reset procedure. I was having the exact same issue - battery dying over night. I believe it's due to a combination of BCM issues like the door ajar issue. If the BCM thinks the doors are open your dome lights are going to come on and drain the battery. On my Suburban there is a button near the headlight switch that over rides the domes and forces them off (even if the doors are open). Once I started doing this my battery drain issue stopped.

Details on the recall below.

2003 Battery Drain Recall for certain models - 1999-2006 & 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra 1500 - GM-Trucks.com
Any help from anyone would be appreciated, I am still playing with this thing, I have found no solution. If anyone reads this I would appreciate your opinion if nothing else. I'm new, I'm new to forums in general honestly, I might should have started a whole new tread?? I was thinking I would get some feedback..
Old January 6th, 2017, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Just wanted to report that I have dealt with the "Left Rear Door Ajar" message for almost 4 years now in our 2003 Suburban. My initial research led me to believe it was the BCM, but everything I read said that the dealer would need to program it (I'm not about to pay the dealer to do anything). I just revisited this issue and after reading MasterBlaster's advice, I bought a used BCM off of eBay for $18 and followed the 30 minute relearn procedure. IT WORKED! Dome lights now work properly and no more door ajar message!

This link also describes the replacement/relearn process:

BCM Replacement/Relearn Procedure
Old January 7th, 2017, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by stewbets
Just wanted to report that I have dealt with the "Left Rear Door Ajar" message for almost 4 years now in our 2003 Suburban. My initial research led me to believe it was the BCM, but everything I read said that the dealer would need to program it (I'm not about to pay the dealer to do anything). I just revisited this issue and after reading MasterBlaster's advice, I bought a used BCM off of eBay for $18 and followed the 30 minute relearn procedure. IT WORKED! Dome lights now work properly and no more door ajar message!

This link also describes the replacement/relearn process:

BCM Replacement/Relearn Procedure
I'm glad I could help! I've since traded my '03 in. We just got tired of the persistent electrical gremlins it had (dash cluster stopped working, flaky heat/cooling controls, the factory DVD unit stopped working, heated seats stopped working). We certainly got our use out of the ole girl but enough was enough.
Old January 7th, 2017, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by AuHeavyChevy
Any help from anyone would be appreciated, I am still playing with this thing, I have found no solution. If anyone reads this I would appreciate your opinion if nothing else. I'm new, I'm new to forums in general honestly, I might should have started a whole new tread?? I was thinking I would get some feedback..
Sorry bud I never got notified you quoted me in this thread. Your issues is likely the body control module as I mentioned earlier. GM no longer uses the old school plunger type switch in the door jam to determine if the door is ajar or not. Instead there's a module (computer) that senses these things either based on sensors, contacts, or simply resistance measured in the door lock / striker. You can get a BCM new from a dealer, they will insist you need them to "program" it or sync it to your vehicle. I can't speak for any newer models but in the '03 you can simply follow the procedure in the video I posted earlier that will reset the BCM. It sounds like stewbets did this and it resolved his issue.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 GMC Sierra

The symptoms are very close to what I have encountered, my 2006 is persistane with both the "Passanger DoorAjar" and "Reae Rifgt Passanger Door Ajar". I attempted the "Reset" process twice to no avail. Is the process different fora 2006?

Quick Reply: Left Rear Door Ajar