Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 29th, 2015, 5:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Lift Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit Questions

So this is going to be as detailed as possible so that hopefully I can prevent as much confusion as possible. My ride is a 2006 duramax 2500hd 4wd. I use the truck daily to tow heavy equipment for my small excavation business, mini-ex,backhoe,skidsteer etc. I'm towing my equipment through lots of really muddy jobsites, compete in a few truck pulls and take it muddin in some fields on the weekends.

I want to do a small suspension lift. So far I have narrowed it down to a 4 inch lift kit so I can clear some 33's. I am thinking of going with the Cognito 4" kit purely because it seems to be the best for keeping original factory geometry/angles and would allow for 33's with no trimming. Oh and I will definitely be adding a set of real solid sled bars/traction bars to help with axle wrap (probably should have installed bars a long time ago!)

Now my biggest concern with lifting it is keeping the back end at least level while I'm towing. Here's where the questions are:
1. I know on a typical stock vehicle I could just install adjustable airbags to act as a load assist/level it out but with a 4 inch lift how will that work?
2. Cognito and almost all other suspension companies use blocks to lift the rear end. Would I do blocks + adjustable airbag system? Or multiple add-a-leafs + airbags?
3. Anyone know of any other good suspension lifts besides cognito that honestly keep the proper factory geometry/angles?

All suggestions and help appreciated!!! Thanks
Old February 23rd, 2014, 7:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cognito is best kit on the market IMO. If you want to do it with a quality kit then it's the way to go, especially with all the add ons they offer for it. Trac bars for sure. Make sure you do heim tie rods for more strength when pullin. As far as I'm aware you can put bags in your truck, just have to find the right kit. And you can do whatever you want to lift the rear. Add a leaf will make it stiffer out back, blocks create more axle wrap(dependin on size). There are lots of good suspension lifts out there that'll do what you want. Pro comp, rough country, fabtech, full throttle just to name a few.