Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Is this Lifter's or something worse?

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2013, 7:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, after seeing the 2nd Video,seems like something more than just the infamous piston slap.

What's the Oil pressure like on your cold start?
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your truck is nearly identical to mine -- dark red 2004 with the 5.3L V8 engine.

Anyway, from what I can tell, that sounds like something in the lower end of the engine (pistons, crankshaft, camshaft, etc.). I have no clue as the exact cause or what is making that noise.......but your Silverado should not sound like a Cummins diesel.

I hope you are able to get it properly diagnosed. Meanwhile, try a bottle of Rislone engine treatment or Marvel Mystery Oil. Both can do wonders for a tired engine.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Motorcat
Yeah, after seeing the 2nd Video,seems like something more than just the infamous piston slap.

What's the Oil pressure like on your cold start?
Oil pressure is normal during and after the noise goes away.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

I wasn't due for an oil change but I went ahead and changed the oil yesterday afternoon to see if the oil looked normal or had metal shavings or something abnormal about it. The oil that was in there had about 2000 miles on it and it still looked clean wasn't dark black or anything. I have sent the video's to a couple of different mechanics that I know and no one can really give me an answer. The only constant thing everyone says is - if it was a piston, cam, or other major component coming apart then the noise would no go away once the engine warms up and probably wouldn't last 5 miles down the road. Everyone is baffled as to what could be making this noise.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 7:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by paawwl
Everyone is baffled as to what could be making this noise.
Well, not everyone.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Well, not everyone.
I was meaning any disrespect. It's just there isn't a constant answer as to what my problem is. I really don't want to start throwing money at this until I have a good guess as to what problem I have. I have heard piston slap before but this seems much louder than that to me, but hell i'm not an expert!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 8:36 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw heck,

Just drive it until a rod comes out the side of the block, the crank breaks in two, or that cap finally comes off. Then, you'll know for sure.

Allan
Old March 2nd, 2013, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Ok so I just went to run somewhere this morning and since I did the oil change no noise whatsoever... the temp is still in the mid 20's
Old March 2nd, 2013, 8:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paawwl
Here is another video with the hood popped and moving around maybe this will help pinpoint the location...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xyi...ature=youtu.be
that has to be a lifter if it quits after it warms up ! pull the valve pan and check the rockers to see if one is loose ! if it was a wrist pin it would be a double knock, once when the piston comes up and once going back down ! sounds like you have a lifter draining off overnight and it,s taking awhile to build back up !
Old March 2nd, 2013, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
Aw heck,

Just drive it until a rod comes out the side of the block, the crank breaks in two, or that cap finally comes off. Then, you'll know for sure.

Allan
Thanks for the helpful advice!!!

Quick Reply: Is this Lifter's or something worse?