Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Loud Humming Noise In Front End

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2012, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loud Humming Noise In Front End

Hey guys,

I have a 2003 chev 1500 4x4 and lately i have been getting a really loud humming noise coming from the front end. It starts to make noise from 40 Kph all the way up and the loudest point at about 110 Kph but never really goes away. The only time it will stop is on LH and RH curves at highway speed and it will momentarily stop as i hit dips in the road. it seems to be the worst coming from the LH side front (Drivers Side). I have jacked up the front end and the wheel bearings dont have any play in them( Hands at 12 and 6 then proceeded to rock the wheel and no play at all) and the wheels have been aligned that didnt help. No worn parts as far as i can see so now i am stumped.

Any Ideas?

Thanks guys
Old January 15th, 2012, 2:26 AM
CF Beginner

Just and Update,

Also tried putting the truck in neutral and letting it cost and there was still no change in noise, Along with putting the truck in 4HI and 4Lo no change in noise.
Old January 15th, 2012, 8:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to say wheel bearing, based on "will stop is on LH and RH curves at highway speed and it will momentarily stop as i hit dips in the road." Try rotating the wheel and feeling for rough spots.
Old January 15th, 2012, 9:42 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EinST
I'd like to say wheel bearing, based on "will stop is on LH and RH curves at highway speed and it will momentarily stop as i hit dips in the road." Try rotating the wheel and feeling for rough spots.
Spot on!

Rule is, if the noise can be changed by "rocking" the truck and thereby shifting the load, it is coming from a wheel bearing.

If not, noise is orginating somewhere 'inboard' of the wheel bearings.

Allan
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Alright that does make sense!
So now with these sealed hub bearings would you still see the play in them like the old cup and bearing set ups when they are out the door? or are we past that kind of check now

Thanks alot guys very helpful!
Old January 15th, 2012, 5:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no possible human error in torquing the wheel bearings and thus I don't believe you can actually feel the play with these bearing/hub assemblies. What you may be able to feel is uneven rotation or rough spots while rotating the wheel by hand with the front off the ground. Mind, wheel bearing noises can appear to come from a wrong location (side to side, front to back). Let someone else drive it while you sit in the back and listen.