Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MAP Sensor question on 96 k1500 4.3L truck

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2011, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAP Sensor question on 96 k1500 4.3L truck

Having issues with miss in low gears. Did complete tune up, replaced O2 sensors. Took it to Advanced Auto and code comes up random miss-fire. I believe its the MAP Sensor that is bad. Question is...Can I drive with the MAP unplugged?

I have been a fan of these forums forever and have gotten a lot of info on 'how to' from here. Now that I am registered I'll send out a thanks to all of you that post!

And please forgive me if I ask what some of you may consider common sense, I am just a girl who likes to fix things myself and believe we should never stop learning...so here I am
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:29 AM
CF Junior Member

good to see a girl who likes to fix her own truck! Yes you can drive with it uplugged---however...you will throw another check engine light and it will more than likely idle high and drive like crap with horrible fuel economy. your map sensor is Manifold Absolute Pressure, it runs off vaccum and your barometric pressure (and obviously electrical). I would say worst case it will be like drivin an ol carb'd with a big vaccum leak. havent priced one of them in a while but i bet its no more than 20 bucks. Also did you do a carbon blast while you did the tune? it makes a world of difference.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

I priced the MAP sensor at Auto Zone and it's 44.99. Not to badly priced. I'm gonna take the EGR off later this evening and clean it too.

This truck sat for 2 years with periodic start ups. so I just think it needs some TLC and it will run like a beast again. Being that it sat, I may have to change the fuel filter out and run some fuel inj cleaner thru it.

Need to get it running smoothly soon cause I just turned my Lancer in off lease and said no to getting another car...I am done with car payments for a while
Old July 7th, 2011, 3:46 PM
CF Senior Member

how old is the gas this E10 can go bad quick,try some techron also its helped me on other cars might take a couple of treatments

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old July 7th, 2011, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Gas is fine, I actually have put 1500 miles on it over the past month. So here is my ordeal now...I went in town to get the MAP Sensor and unfortunately it started slipping -I'm thinking Tranny, so I turned it around and headed back home. Odd thing though, it started jerking like it was not getting enough gas then it took off like someone shot it in the booty with turbo fuel. I am so lost now....am I shop bound? I hate taking any vehicle to a shop cause (sorry guys) but some of these doofs treat me like I'm stupid.

Could it be the Transmission Control Solenoid...possible or doubtful? I don't know much on tranny's , but I'm willing to get covered in tran fluid if need be (If your nice I might post a pic...LOL)
Old July 8th, 2011, 9:44 AM
CF Senior Member

i had a bad brake light switch that caused a car to buck it was cycling the coverter clutch in and out,hows the level and color of the trans fluid,any codes for the trans set the check engine light might not be on but there might be one pending

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Fluid level, color and smell is all good. It's the first thing i checked when getting home. Last code reading I had (less than a week ago) was one for O2 Sensor (already replaced), EGR and random mis-fires. I don't know if the EGR will cause rough shift, slipping or the bucking??? I am sure the random mis-fire reading is probably from whatever the issue is.

Engine light is random, sometimes it comes on and sometimes its not. Yesterday, it was not on.

Last edited by kyina; July 8th, 2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Add info
Old July 8th, 2011, 2:53 PM
CF Junior Member

In a 2004 Silverado K1500 Z71 5.3L Does anyone know where the Main ECM is?...Which one and location please and is there a comp chip replaceable?
Old July 9th, 2011, 6:52 AM
CF Beginner

Ok so had a mechanic friend stop by and read my codes again...it came up with the Mass Air Flow Sensor. We unplugged it and took it down the street and the truck ran like it was brand new so I went and got the part and he reset my codes. Tried driving but same issues, check engine light came back on so I had him run codes again...same code. Took part back and swapped it thinking maybe I got a faulty one. Also picked up a fuel filter and a can of brake cleaner to clean the EGR...did all that and reset the codes again. Drove it, same issues but check engine light has not come back on (yet)...*Scratching head*

Is there a cheater way to check fuel pressure at home, I can't get my friend out here again til Monday but I have to be on a job site Monday morning and need this truck. I'm desperate!
Old July 9th, 2011, 7:10 PM
CF Senior Member

you could order a pressure tester on line, does AUTOZONE rent them?,are you getting the right voltage to the MAF and a good ground,mine has three wire 12v,return signal and ground

Sean

97 4x4 burb

Quick Reply: MAP Sensor question on 96 k1500 4.3L truck