Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Metal on metal sound from rear end

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2015, 12:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal on metal sound from rear end

Hey guys, could use some help here.. So I bought this truck (2006 Silverado 5.3 4wd Z71) a few months back, live in south texas and love it. Now, I've already replaced both front hub assemblies, and still hear what sounds like a bearing going out, I hear it coming from the rear so this morning I took both rear axles off, and can see the bearings on both sides. They do not look bad, everything on the bearing seems intact. Also another problem I ran into was the actual bearing itself, on the autozone website it shows both a 9.5 and a 8.625 bearing, not sure I let the "car expert" sell me the right part and this bearing doesn't seem like it'll fit. Besides that, if both U-Joints on the drive shaft aren't making any noise, what else could it be ????

also saying this truck has 174,000 miles, me being the second owner, if the bearings look good, should they be replaced anyways or not?
Old August 26th, 2015, 12:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Disconnect the driveshaft from the differential. With the axles out, spin the pinion yoke. Can you hear the bad bearings?

If the pinion bearings are bad and / or the carrier bearings are bad, you should still hear it when spinning the yoke.

When I pulled my rear apart to fix the noisy pinion bearings, I found that the carrier bearings were also slightly damaged but the axle bearings were fine. I replace every bearing and race in the rear anyway just in case.
Old August 26th, 2015, 3:17 PM
CF Junior Member

I think I might of found the problem, and I still don't know how to correct it. The rear drum on the driver side will not go back on for nothing! The passenger went on, no problem, but this side forget it, and I've been trying to adjust it, to compress the shoes, and it will not move at all... I know nothing about drum brakes, only worked on disc, any help ??? I've been turning the self adjuster and it's not moving at all
Old August 26th, 2015, 4:24 PM
CF Junior Member

nevermind, I bled the brakes, got the brake shoes to compress, installed the drums, took it for a spin and still making that noise, next I'm gonna put it up in the air and set it in drive and find exactly where it's coming from. it could be the pinion or a u joint that I'm not catching.