Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Moaning Sound Only on Left Turns (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/moaning-sound-only-left-turns-49570/)

Soules75 March 24th, 2012 1:47 PM

Moaning Sound Only on Left Turns

I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 crew cab and almost every time I make a left turn there is a loud moaning/rubbing sound and the steering wheel slightly vibrates. I had my wife turn the wheel over and over to the left while I listened with the hood open and I am almost certain I have pinpointed the source of the problem, but I don't know enough about trucks to be sure.

There are 2 hoses/lines below the battery that shake whenever I hear the noise. Are these power steering lines? What are these lines for? Does anyone have any ideas?

I am not low on PS fluid and it never ever makes the sound on right turns, only left. I also lifted the truck up and felt for play in the front tires, but they were both solid. It's not the steering knock as I already tried lubing the intermediate shaft a while back. It's more of a moan or groan than a knock. I feel like it has to be related to the hoses shaking whenever I hear the noise...

Tarheel4life March 12th, 2013 7:06 AM

Did you ever find a solution to your steering problem? Mine is doing the exact same thing. Thanks for any help.

Fishinfooleric10@aol.com March 12th, 2013 2:34 PM

Sure its not the front end, sounds like a hub to me and if you haven't figured it out post a video and I am sure someone can figure it out.

tyleralt56 March 12th, 2013 7:09 PM

wheel bearing

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me.

Tarheel4life March 13th, 2013 7:17 AM

Thanks for the help. I'll check the hub/bearing

Zeb71 August 16th, 2013 7:26 PM

I have the same noise. It seems to be coming from the power steering pump. Sounds like Chewbacca during left turns only.

Soules75 November 25th, 2014 5:41 PM

Hey guys, it's been a long time but I thought I stumbled upon this thread doing a google search for a new issue i'm having with my truck and thought I would share that I did find the steering noise issue. I was getting my oil changed and thought what the hell, i'll have them replace my power steering fluid while they are at it...and sure as ****, I drove away in silence. No more noise ever since!

Hopefully this helps someone down the road.

nauticstar87 November 26th, 2014 12:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Doesn't sound like a bad idea once I get my truck running again. Ol' girl had been beginning to whine.

ChevyKidAustin2000 November 30th, 2014 9:27 AM

I Don't think so...

Originally Posted by tyleralt56 (Post 243039)
Sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me.

My truck is doing the same thing and i replaced both fronts and it still makes the sound only going left. so if anyone has any other input, please help!